Selected KBS Students Attend Careers & Employability Trip to UBS in London

a picture of students at the UBS offices

Several Kent Business School students attended The Careers and Employability Service trip to the UBS offices in London to hear more about their placement schemes this week.

The event, on 26 September 2022  is a first of its kind for UBS and was designed for Kent students who might be interested in working in banking in the future. UBS provides financial advice and solutions to private, institutional, and corporate clients worldwide and has more than 70,000 employees in more than 50 countries.

The day started with a welcome and overview of the application processes for placement years. This was followed by a panel of current placement students talking about their roles, which ranged from IT to investment banking working with high net-worth individuals and corporate clients. The Kent students were given the opportunity questions they had about their placements, which included hints and tips on making it through the recruitment process and thriving in your first few weeks.

After this, the students met with around 50 staff from across the business, networking over refreshments and canapes, making connections and gaining a better understanding of the bank and the roles within.

“The trip to UBS was enthralling. Learning about their placement schemes was very informative and encouraged me to apply,” says Tom Procter who is studying BSc (Hons) Management with a Year in Industry. “The most enriching part was being able to openly talk to current placements at the bank and learn more about what exactly they do. I am hugely grateful for UBS putting on a great day

“I found the trip to UBS quarters a great opportunity to get an insight look at what the future can potentially hold,” said Cleopatra-Felicia Tataru, who is studying BSc (Hons) International Business with a Year Abroad. “I was pleased to find out that the university resources (careers services) offer this sort of close access to multinational companies, a peek view on what the graduate perspectives look like. I was pleasantly surprised by the availability of both the employees and the IPs of UBS that kindly offered their time and contact details to answer further questions or provide guidance.”

“I would just like to say thank you to UBS for the event it gave me an insight into the company and how the placement application process works; not just for UBS but in general too, which would be helpful for my applications,” said Hameed Ojubanire, who is studying BSc (Hons) Business and Management with a Year in Industry. The networking event helped gain insights from people in the placement and people in the business, it was very useful and allowed me to meet and talk to people in roles I would like to do and get some of their details down too. The panel was also helpful in understanding how the panellists adapted to UBS and they also answered my questions.”

“Thank you, UBS, for hosting such an insightful networking event. This event allowed me to discover area of interest which I am beyond grateful about,” concluded Hong Yi Toh, BSc (Hons) International Business with a Year in Industry

For more information on events of this kind, visit our central Careers and Employability page.

The travel for the event was funded through the Work and Opportunities Fund which supports students in accessing unpaid work experience or attending insight events that will support their employability. 

More details about this fund are available at https://www.kent.ac.uk/ces/funding.html