“10 Questions”- Anton Carter

In our ‘10 Questions’ series, KBS caught up with Anton Carter a KBS BSc International Business and MSc Marketing graduate.

Tell us about yourself 

My name is Anton Carter, I am from South-East London born and raised. I studied BSc International Business (2014-2017) and for my postgraduate degree, MSc Marketing (2017-2018).

What attracted you to your programme of study and why?

I fell in love with the campus straight away and knew that the business school had so many facilities that would enhance my learning e.g. amazing lecture and seminar rooms.

International Business allowed me to learn so much about all aspects of business and with the University of Kent (UoK) being the UK’s European university, I was able to meet great people from around the world.

What were the highlights of your time as an undergraduate?

I had so many highlights whilst at the UoK, becoming Entrepreneur of the Year in 2017 was a great achievement that helped me become more confident in starting and pursuing business ideas outside of the university.

I gained this award from my time on the Business Start-Up Journey (BSUJ) which was an amazing programme that I feel everyone should partake in.

UKC Swim was also a big family for me at university as I met so many great people and the same goes for Kent RaG as I was able to climb Kilimanjaro in September of 2017 also. So, a lot of memories!

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?

Never assume anything. This is so true in all aspects of life if you have doubt, check

Describe your experience of the Business Start-Up Journey
I joined the BSUJ late in the process with an idea around being about to scan text in real life, and allow it to be played back through audio, targeting people who are visually impaired, have learning difficulties or lazy students that needed to revise for an exam!

The BSUJ helped me understand more aspects of business and also allowed me to present my ideas to students and to companies such as Santander to gain great feedback.

Why did you decide to do a Masters degree in Marketing?  

Through my experience with the BSUJ and studying aspects of marketing in my undergraduate degree, I wanted to focus on everything marketing, and my marketing masters allowed me to experience a wide range of knowledge and I benefited from the great teaching UoK had to offer.

How do you think a Master’s degree enhanced your career/job?

I started Sociablegrad after university which helps graduates who have just moved to London to socialise with other graduates and from this experience studying Marketing and international business, I was able to now all aspects of how to start an organisation and then how to communicate it to the target audiences. From this venture and the things I have learnt, lead me to my influencer marketing role at The GOAT Agency.

What is your current job role at GOAT Agency?

Goat is a social influencer marketing agency that works with many different brands globally. My role is to find new businesses that would benefit from new marketing strategies instead of old conventional ways of marketing. So either I will be in meeting with big brands or analysing social media platforms to find new business.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

I would love to have a great job and have a side business that gives back to the community.

If you would like to be featured in our ‘10 Questions’ series, please get in touch with a member of the Marketing team kbsmarketing@kent.ac.uk