Introducing Morta: Kent Business School Student Experience Assistant

Morta Menjoh is the new Student Experience Assistant based at Kent Business School Medway. In her blog, Morta tells you a little about herself and how she can support you through your studies.

Introduce yourself

Hello, my name is Morta and I am on my placement year at Kent Business School, Medway as the new Student Experience Assistant. I am from South East London, which is very near to Kent, so I was pleased with the opportunity to study Business and Management with a Year in Industry here.  I was eager to do a course with a placement year as I really wanted to gain professional experience that would help me with my future career prospects.

Describe your new role

As a Student Experience Assistant, I engage heavily with the students to ensure that they have a positive university experience. I am in charge of the Student Ambassadors who assist with Open and Applicant Days and run the Sail and Colour Loft reception desk. I also organise the Mentoring Scheme at KBS Medway through pairing the Student Mentors with Stage 1 students who require help in particular modules. Additionally, I work with the Marketing team, based in Canterbury, to improve our communication channels across Medway.

How can students contact you?

I am based on the Medway Campus in the Sail and Colour Loft, Room G05. I work from Canterbury once every two weeks to support the KBS Marketing team. Students can email me on M.Menjoh@kent.ac.uk or come to the Sail and Colour Loft reception desk where I would be happy to help any enquiries. My office hours are Monday to Thursday from 09:00 to 17:00 and Friday from 08:00 to 16:00.

What are you looking to get out of your Year in Industry?

I want my placement year to provide me with clarification on what career I want to pursue in the future. Additionally, I would like to be in a position where I am confident enough to take the lead on certain projects. A month into my placement, I have realised that I do actually enjoy working in an office environment. I have also been given the opportunity to independently manage the ambassadors and mentors as well as create the KBS Medway newsletter.

What’s the best thing about studying here?

The diverse range of people you meet and interact with at the University is really good because you have such a large network of people to support you and communicate with. The fact that the Medway Campus is small means that it is easier to build relationships and familiarise yourself with people quicker. The close proximity to London is also an advantage as I love going home on the weekends.

What do you hope to do after you complete your studies?

I am not entirely set on the career I would like to pursue in the future, however, I have really enjoyed creating the KBS Medway newsletter. So, it would be great if I could work in Marketing. I have also liked engaging with and organising the student ambassadors and mentors. I can now see myself in a managerial or organisational role in future.

What advice would you give to first-year students?

I would encourage you to take full advantage of all the services, support and resources provided by the University. Students are paying a lot of money for university, so why not utilise it as much as you can? There is a huge jump from A-Levels to university that many students do not expect and I feel that the University does offer a lot to provide a smoother transition. I would also advise students to work their hardest in their first year because even though your grades do not go towards your final result, they do play a huge role when you start to look for placements in second year.

Many thanks to Morta for sharing her thoughts. Students are welcome to contact Morta for advice and guidance. Read Morta’s staff profile.