My experience at the University of Kent

While studying towards a BA (Hons.) degree in International Business at Kent Business School (KBS), I was exposed to rigorous academic study, inspirational lecturers and numerous career-related events and workshops. I did my best to make the most of the opportunities the University of Kent offers to its students: from being awarded a business technology internship at Coca Cola Enterprises through the Employability Points Scheme to obtaining a University of Kent 50th Anniversary Scholarship to attend an intensive two-week course at Brussels School of International Studies, getting familiar with the EU institutions, policies and challenges. I cherish my time at KBS not only because I learned a lot about business in a global setting, but also because I improved my presentation, communication and influencing skills while studying in a highly stimulating international environment. During my studies at KBS and part-time work as University of Kent student ambassador, I gained fantastic academic and practical experience, which has definitely enhanced my employability skills, making me eligible for working in large multinational organisations.

About Study India Programme
Each summer during the last five years, UK students have been given the chance to explore India in a structured programme, sponsored by the British Council, Delhi University and the UK and India Education and Research Initiative. In the summer of 2013, I had the amazing opportunity to participate in UKIERI Study India Programme, which allowed 200 students out of 4370 applicants from UK universities to enhance their global perspective by spending 3 weeks in India. The Study India Programme aims to broaden the knowledge and horizons of selected UK students by promoting India as a potential study, work or living destination.
Within this programme I completed:

• A one-week consultancy internship at Grant Thornton India, which provided a great insight into how the rapid economic growth of the country has impacted SMEs.
  • A week at some of the top colleges of University of Delhi, where I interacted with local students and was able to compare and contrast the two educational systems. Furthermore, I was given the opportunity to share my own experience as a University of Kent student.
  • A week of intensive study of the culture, language, religion, values and rapid changes that have made India known as the only place in the world which has been going through five revolutions simultaneously.

My personal highlights of the programme involved taking part in a city treasure hunt on my very first day in India, cycling in Mumbai at dawn, feeding a cow, crossing a street amidst the incredible traffic, having curry for breakfast, spending 3 hours in one of the largest slums in the world, being involved in a rickshaw speeding competition, learning a Bollywood dance and wearing a traditional sari!

A brief summary of my ‘Incredible India’ experience could be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnmrwac8UW0 (Preview)

I highly recommend the Study India Programme to all undergraduate students at the University of Kent since it will definitely be the highlight of summer 2014. More information could be obtained through the Study India Programme website http://studyindia.co.uk/ or the official Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UKIERIStudyIndia
Explore India, meet exceptional people and broaden your horizons!

*Iva Ilieva is currently a postgraduate student at London School of Economics and Political Science, studying MSc Management, Organizations and Governance. At present she is doing pro-bono work as a consultant at Cognoscere Consulting, providing strategy advice for charities.