Need help?

***Important notice***

Due to the high volume of enquiries, we are at present unable to respond to enquiries that do not relate to Belgium. 

Enquiries relating to Belgium: If you received an expulsion order or a letter asking you to prove your right of residence from the Belgian authorities or you simply want information about your rights of residence in Belgium, please contact the Belgian expulsion helpdesk by making an appointment on this website.

Enquiries relating to the UK and other EU countries:  We recommend that you send your message to Your Europe Advice, which is a free legal service of the European Commission that deals with cases of mobile EU citizens exercising their freedom of movement rights in another EU Member State.Your Europe Advice will provide you with a free legal answer in every official language of the EU within 3-5 days.

All enquiries are treated as strictly confidential.

We do not give advice over the telephone.

We can help you if you cannot afford the services of a lawyer and your problem concerns EU law. This can covers matters such as:

  • Visas: your family members face difficulties in obtaining a visa for travel to an EU country other than your country of nationality,
  • Residence: you and your family members face difficulties in registering with the local authorities as a resident in an EU country other than your country of nationality,
  • Problems with airlines or other transport companies: you or your family members were denied boarding because you held incorrect travel documents,
  • Healthcare or social security: you and your family members face difficulties in accessing healthcare or social security when moving around the EU,
  • Returning home after living abroad: you or your family members face difficulties when coming back to your home country after living in another EU country.

We do not give advice on matters relating to commercial law or criminal law.

You can watch a video about a typical case handled by the EU Rights Clinic here.

If you want advice about the European Convention on Human Rights, you should contact the AIRE Centre.

We will only take on cases that remain unresolved after the intervention of the EU’s various assistance services.

  • If you want specific advice on your rights under EU law, you first need to contact Your Europe Advice
  • In some cases, it would also be appropriate to contact SOLVIT , the EU’s problem-solving network if your problem is with a national or local authority.

If despite having asked these services to intervene, your problem remains unresolved, then we may be able to help you. Please contact us by email (you must include a copy of your correspondence received with Your Europe Advice or SOLVIT).

If we are able to assist you, we aim to respond within 15 working days of receiving a request. When you send us an email, please note this does not guarantee that we will be able to assist you.