How do I apply?
Fill in the simple application form, stating your contact details and the reason for your application.
When should I apply?
Students wishing to begin the programme in September 2021 will be considered on a rolling basis and applications will open in November 2020. The closing date for applications is May 2021.
If you are a Stage 2 student, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible so that you will know whether or not you have been accepted on to the Year in Computing before making your module choices for Stage 3.
Is there anyone who can’t apply for the Year in Computing?
You cannot apply if you are:
- not currently registered as an undergraduate student at the University of Kent
- registered as a student in the School of Computing
- registered as a student in the School of Psychology (please talk to your School about the reasons behind this).
Can I take a Year in Computing as a postgraduate student?
Unfortunately not. The programme is open to Kent undergraduates, not Master’s or PhD students.
What do I need to get in?
- We expect you to have an average of 50% in your current modules (see above), and a record of good attendance; we want to know that you are coping with the demands of university study.
- We expect you to have an evidenced interest in computing, but not necessarily any prior experience of coding.
- We will ask you to provide a short description of why you are interested in the Year and what you hope to get out of it.
- If your application passes this stage, we will invite you to a selective interview to discuss what you have said in your application, and to give us (and you) confidence that the course is right for you. The interview may include a short, informal, aptitude test.
Can I apply now? I’m a second year and want to do YinCo after my final year.
We are only accepting applications for the Year in Computing starting in September 2021. Please apply next year if you want to study in 2022 or subsequent years.