Music Scholar spotlight: Jonny Easton

jonny in colyer fergusson music hall

Jonny Easton, a first year student studying Italian in the Department of Modern Languages, is a University Music Performance Scholar, and features in the University of Kent Music Department blog. In this blog, Jonny talks about his involvement with the music scene on campus.

He says, “Since starting at the University, I have been involving myself in a number of groups: Symphony Orchestra; the Big Band; General Harding’s Tomfoolery (a 1940’s style swing band); the Concert Band; and at times dropping into a brass ensemble. Concert preparation was underway by Week Two, and before Christmas the Orchestra, Big Band and Tomfoolery group each had a concert – it was demonstrated to me quite how nice it is to perform in a space like the new(ish) concert hall.”

Illustating the opportuities available to students taking part in University Music, which is open to students in all subjects, he says: “Coming up before then end of this term is an Orchestral concert in the Cathedral (we’re playing Saint-Saens’ Organ Symphony and Durufle’s Requiem – both massive pieces which will be awesome to play in such a  venue), a joint Big Band-Concert Band concert in the Colyer-Fergusson hall, and a Tomfoolery lunchtime concert – with dancers! I will also be playing in a chamber orchestra children’s concert of Peter and the Wolf; which I rather hope they’ll be resurrecting David Bowie to narrate…”

To find out more about the University’s Music Department and opportunities available to students, visit www.kent.ac.uk/music.