Student experience: starting a legal blog

Law LLB student Liliya Babutsali reflects on her experience of establishing and developing a legal law blog on Instagram and LinkedIn during her second year at Kent

When I look at where my platform is right now and then at where it was when I first made my blog, I think the first word that comes to mind is a simple “how?” I had initially set up Liliya Learns Law with the intention of using the page to help me study; I would frequently post time-lapse videos of myself studying, and the obligatory “pretty stationery” post.

I don’t think it was until mid-April that I started to change the type of content that I posted. During the peak of the panic surrounding COVID-19, I noticed that a lot of students were expressing similar opinions: they were worried about how the virus would impact their studies.

It was at this point that I then decided to post my first resource to the Liliya Learns Law Instagram: “How I prepare for my Law Exams”. The post was received well by my audience and I received many kind responses from students who had previously been panicking about their exams.

After such an overwhelmingly positive response, I began to realise the direction that I wanted my platform to head towards and the niche that I wanted to fill within the student community. Although I enjoyed posting brief posts on “study tips”, I wanted to cross over into providing full-sized resources for students looking to make the next step in their legal careers. As a BAME woman, I have always placed a strong emphasis on the need for accessibility and diversity within the legal sector. But I realised that for me, rhetoric was not enough. If I was to be satisfied with my contributions towards aiding other underrepresented individuals, I would have to physically provide resources to those in need.

So, I began to consider ways that I could best do this. My recent appointment to the Kent Student Law Society as Marketing Officer had already resulted in me having a vast amount of connections, including fellow aspiring solicitors, university lecturers, and even law firm partners. I knew that I had to seize the opportunity to put my contacts into use, so I took the plunge and created a company page for Liliya Learns Law on LinkedIn.

And I’m truly glad that I did! My resources are now able to be accessed by students and graduates who are hoping to secure vacation schemes and training contracts. From resources on potential interview questions to booklets on key areas of commercial law, all of these were designed with the intention of providing guidance to those who need it.

I definitely think that starting a legal blog has helped me deal with the trials and tribulations of being a law student during a global pandemic too! For a start, the platform has put me into contact with so many amazing firms like Shoosmiths and Travers Smith LLP, which definitely removed the feelings of panic I had surrounding all of the networking events that I had registered to attend being cancelled. I’ve also had the pleasure of being able to speak to so many amazing young professionals, who are also passionate about diversifying their respective industries.

But above all, Liliya Learns Law has allowed me to document my own personal development and journey as an aspiring solicitor. You’re able to share all the thoughts and feelings you might be having; the pre-exam anxiety, the burnout, the uphill battle for a training contract, the anticipation of receiving your LLB exam results, and so much more. Having a platform that enables me to share these things has really allowed for me to find my voice within the industry, because I know that there will always be somebody that is able to relate to me.

Find out more about studying a Law LLB at Kent