Q&A with international LLB student Melissa Chan

“I aspire to use the skills I have gained … to excel in the future”

What attracted you to studying at Kent?

It looked like a fresh and different environment, as compared to back home in Singapore, and perfect for doing my undergraduate degree here.

How is your course going?

I am currently studying LLB Law. Kent Law school has provided me with various opportunities to excel in not just my academic studies, but also in experiences. The modules covered are brain stimulating and never fail to capture my interests.

How would you describe your lecturers? What do you think about the level of support in your studies?

My lecturers are very informative and strive to cover as much material in the lectures. They are also available via email if I have any queries, and I occasionally meet them at legal events.

Which modules have you enjoyed the most, and why?

I have enjoyed my property law module the most this year. I had an amazing seminar leader that never failed to spark my interest and goes the extra mile in explaining to me coursework and guiding me throughout my assessments.

How would you describe your fellow students?

I have met such incredible and intelligent people in my course, some that I know I’ll be friends with for a really long time ahead!

What are your subject facilities like?

Kent Law School has a mock moot court, and it is very useful for hosting mock trials and allowing students opportunities to meet with real life judges and lawyers in order to gain relevant advice from the experts in the various fields of the legal sector.

What kind of career do you hope to follow when you leave, and why?

I am hoping to become a barrister, as KLS has let me fall in love with advocacy and public speaking. However, I like to keep my options open, and I still have two more years to explore more options.

Have you used the University’s Careers and Employability Service?

Yes! The advisors are helpful, and they helped me polish my CVs, cover letters, and social medias up to perfection.

What about the social life? Are you part of any societies?

I was part of various law societies, and in particular, I put my focus on the Taekwondo club, as I felt that it was important to continue cultivating a hobby outside of my academic life.

What are your favourite places on campus?

Perhaps Templeman library! As cliché as it sounds, I’ve walked past so many interesting looking books, and I love the silent section on level 3, especially during exam season.

Did you live in University accommodation? What was that like?

I lived in Parkwood flats. It was really nice, and it was an ensuite.

Any advice to somebody thinking of coming to Kent?

Be prepared to cook if you have cravings in the middle of the night! It’s a small town so it’s hard to find food past 10pm.

Describe Kent in three words!

Historic, scenic, cosy

The City

Where are the top three places to visit in Canterbury? Where would you recommend for a day out?

I would take a walk in the city centre. It has a bunch of cute little cafes and mainstream shops, and you should be able to find everything you need! Especially if it’s your first time in Canterbury, walk along the river at Westgate gardens are you should be able to see ducks and swans. Lastly, visit the cathedral. It is immensely stunning and filled with history.

What is your experience of studying at the University as an international student?

I would say that it is a breath-taking experience, everything feels surreal. I would have never imagined studying in such a lovely little town that is such rich in history!

What advice would you give to other international students looking to study in the UK?

Find at least a good friend or two that you can have dinners together!

How do you feel your UK degree has helped prepare you for your future career and what do you hope to achieve once you graduate?

I would say that it has provided me with so many experiences that have really opened up my eyes to the working field, and I aspire to use the skills I have gained in lessons and in other areas to excel in the future.