Meet your new Student EDI Representatives 

(Still vacancies for more reps)

Five photos of students

Meet your new Student Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (EDI) Representatives: Basma El Doukhi, Tianna Wong, Zohra Jonnud, Macy Hall and Feriel Guennoun.

Basma, Tianna, Zohra, Macy and Feriel have been appointed to represent students within the Division for the study of Law, Society and Social Justice (*LSSJ), and will play a key role in the Division’s EDI Coordinating Group. They will provide a student voice, represent student concerns, and propose student-related initiatives on EDI.

The EDI Coordinating Group Chair, Co-Deputy Director (People and EDI) for LSSJ, Professor Rosemary Hunter said, ‘I’m delighted to welcome Basma, Tianna, Zohra, Macy and Feriel as Student EDI Representatives. I look forward to working with them and I’m sure they’ll provide a strong voice for student EDI issues within LSSJ’.

There are still vacancies for Student EDI Representatives in the following areas:

• LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer and more) students

Students interested in putting themselves forward for any of these positions should contact Professor Hunter at lssjdep@kent.ac.uk

Meet your EDI reps…

Basma El Doukhi

I am a Palestinian undertaking a PhD in migration studies. I have been active in humanitarian and development work with refugees and asylum seekers for the past 12 years including working on topics in relation to sexual and gender-based violence, child protection, prevention and response activities, community outreach and mobilization support programs. I am dedicated and passionate about interfaith relations, refugee protection including humanitarian work, rights advocacy, campaigning including working with women and vulnerable people and communities, community development, inclusion, diversity and outreach.

Contact Basma: be205@kent.ac.uk

Tianna Wong

I am a senior status LLB student from Canada. I have always been a strong advocate for women’s rights and try to incorporate feminist ideas into the way I live.  My personal and legal role model is Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the former US Supreme Court Justice who was a champion of women’s rights and many other marginalized groups.  I strive to be one of the many who will carry the torch of her work and make my own contributions to creating gender equality, and that is what interested me in the role of an EDI representative.  Ensuring equality is present throughout our education is essential to both our individual success, as well as making sure Kent’s students embody those values in their work when they go out into the world.  As your EDI representative, please feel free to reach out to me on any relevant issues – I am always open to having a conversation!

Contact Tianna: tw428@kent.ac.uk

Zohra Jonnud

I am currently a second year Law student. I have been interested in studying Law since I was a teenager as I have always hoped to make a difference in the area of human rights. I have been volunteering since I was a child and have had an active role participating in cultural events within my community. I am passionate about human rights as well as a number of other issues, particularly racial and gender equality as it resonates with my own personal experiences in the past. I was interested in this role as I would like to work towards improving diversity and inclusivity at the university. I also hope to create a safe and comfortable environment for those who are struggling and to provide support for those who need it.

Contact Zohra: zj41@kent.ac.uk

Macy Hall

I am a first year law student and a passionate advocate for disabled voices and issues. I’m disabled myself and grew up around disability and chronic illness, which strengthened my dedication towards disability rights, education, and empowerment. My passions also include gender equality, body positivity and fighting anti-semitism as I’m very proud of my Jewish faith. However, as an EDI representative, I strive to raise and address problems facing disabled and chronically ill students, so I am always available and happy to discuss any issues that may arise — I look forward to getting to know people better!

Contact Macy: mah56@kent.ac.uk

Feriel Guennoun

Feriel

I am a stage two Law student from France. Growing up, I have had the chance to meet people from different ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds which made very much aware of the barriers students from a low-income background can face. In my opinion, this goes beyond money issues—those barriers include the lack of opportunities and the impact financial hardship can have on someone’s mental and physical health as well. As a student representative, I hope as such to not only offer support to the students that reach out to me, but work with the university too and provide each student with an equal chance to succeed in their academic journey.

Contact Feriel: fg237@kent.ac.uk 

*LSSJ comprises three schools: Kent Law School (KLS); The School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research (SSPSSR); and the Centre for Journalism (CfJ).