Meet your new Student EDI Representatives 

(Still vacancies for more reps)

Meet your new Student Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (EDI) Representatives: Basma El Doukhi, Tianna Wong, and Zohra Jonnud.

Basma, Tianna and Zohra have been appointed to represent students within the Division for the study of Law, Society and Social Justice (*LSSJ), and will play a key role in the Division’s EDI Coordinating Group. They will provide a student voice, represent student concerns, and propose student-related initiatives on EDI.

The EDI Coordinating Group Chair, Co-Deputy Director (People and EDI) for LSSJ, Professor Rosemary Hunter said, ‘I’m delighted to welcome Basma, Tianna and Zohra as Student EDI Representatives. I look forward to working with them and I’m sure they’ll provide a strong voice for student EDI issues within LSSJ’.

There are still vacancies for Student EDI Representatives in the following areas:

• LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer and more) students
  • Disabled students/students with additional accessibility requirements
  • Students from low income groups/lower socio-economic backgrounds

Students interested in putting themselves forward for any of these positions should contact Professor Hunter at lssjdep@kent.ac.uk

Meet, Basma, Tianna and Zohra…

Basma El Doukhi

I am a Palestinian undertaking a PhD in migration studies. I have been active in humanitarian and development work with refugees and asylum seekers for the past 12 years including working on topics in relation to sexual and gender-based violence, child protection, prevention and response activities, community outreach and mobilization support programs. I am dedicated and passionate about interfaith relations, refugee protection including humanitarian work, rights advocacy, campaigning including working with women and vulnerable people and communities, community development, inclusion, diversity and outreach.

Contact Basma: be205@kent.ac.uk

Tianna Wong

I am a senior status LLB student from Canada. I have always been a strong advocate for women’s rights and try to incorporate feminist ideas into the way I live.  My personal and legal role model is Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the former US Supreme Court Justice who was a champion of women’s rights and many other marginalized groups.  I strive to be one of the many who will carry the torch of her work and make my own contributions to creating gender equality, and that is what interested me in the role of an EDI representative.  Ensuring equality is present throughout our education is essential to both our individual success, as well as making sure Kent’s students embody those values in their work when they go out into the world.  As your EDI representative, please feel free to reach out to me on any relevant issues – I am always open to having a conversation!

Contact Tianna: tw428@kent.ac.uk

Zohra Jonnud

I am currently a second year Law student. I have been interested in studying Law since I was a teenager as I have always hoped to make a difference in the area of human rights. I have been volunteering since I was a child and have had an active role participating in cultural events within my community. I am passionate about human rights as well as a number of other issues, particularly racial and gender equality as it resonates with my own personal experiences in the past. I was interested in this role as I would like to work towards improving diversity and inclusivity at the university. I also hope to create a safe and comfortable environment for those who are struggling and to provide support for those who need it.

Contact Zohra: zj41@kent.ac.uk

*LSSJ comprises three schools: Kent Law School (KLS); The School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research (SSPSSR); and the Centre for Journalism (CfJ).