Meet Rebecca O’Sullivan, LLM student

Rebecca O'SullivanWhat advice would you give a current student/graduating student? 

To not worry – It can be daunting graduating from university and having to think about the future. It’s a good idea to take advantage of the Careers and Employability service which are still available even after you’ve graduated. There’s so many different career paths you can take with law and so don’t feel constrained to the traditional solicitor/barrister route! 

Why did you choose the Kent Law School? 

What drew me to Kent Law School was mainly the fact that they had a working law clinic on campus – this set them apart from the other Law Schools I had spoken to, as well as their high standard of teaching. The array of law courses and modules as well were a factor. 

Why did you choose International Law as a pathway? 

During my Law-LLB degree at Kent, I had taken mainly international law modules so I wanted to develop in this direction – the postgraduate international law modules really vary in what you can take from the trafficking of cultural heritage to environmental law. 

What plans do you have now from a career point of view and how the LLM helped you to progress? 

I’m still slightly undecided on what I wish to do, though the LLM has helped opened my eyes to the variety of pathways there are in law. 

Has the course lived up to your expectations? 

I was worried that taking the LLM would be incredibly difficult and a leap from the undergrad, but I have found the change not too bad. You can look at subjects in more depth and have more leeway in what you choose to write your assignments on – the focus is more on discussion and opinions than the black-and-white law which has been interesting.  

What attracted you to the University of Kent? 

Not only the Law School but also the Uni itself; I loved the grounds when I came to visit and found the open days and staff very welcoming. The whole process of applying and coming to university was smooth, especially considering it was during COVID.  

What do you think of the campus? 

The campus is so lovely, and I really like that you are essentially contained as a student community – everything you could want is here, like shops, cash machines, book shops and medical centres. I also liked the variety of wildlife we get on campus and just the green space in general. The fact that it is apart from the hustle and bustle of the city is another pro! 

How much interaction have you had with your fellow students? 

The way the course is laid out, we have in-person seminars where discussion and the sharing of ideas is encouraged – to be able to interact with my fellow students, from all different walks of life, is so rewarding and really helpful in helping you develop your ideas and opinions more. 

What do you think of the teaching? 

I think the teaching has been excellent for the whole time I’ve been at Kent, with so many lecturers with different specialisations and interests. It really allows you to explore so many different areas of law. The lecturers are always so helpful, especially in the one-to-one office hours you can book, and are always willing to share their tips ad tricks. 

What do you think of the facilities at Kent? 

The one facility I want to highlight is the student support and wellbeing. My entire time at Kent they have been so welcoming and helpful when it has come to my ILP (Inclusive Learning Plan) but also in other times they are always so willing to talk and listen.

I also have to highlight the Residential Life team as they are always putting on interesting and fun events for students such as mindfulness colouring and trips out which I attended in my undergrad – such a great way to make friends! 

Have you taken part in any extra-curricular activities? 

At both my undergrad and postgrad I was part of the dodgeball society which I joined on a whim, and I loved it, to the extent that I was president last year!

I definitely recommend joining societies as they are a great way to make friends, form new interests but also help have a social/work life balance. 

I also took part in the student mentoring scheme through the Law School, which allowed me to help younger students as well as develop my social and planning skills. 

What are your future plans? 

In regard to my qualifications, I plan to ultimately go down the solicitor route as I have a slight interest in probate and inheritance law.

Why did you choose to study Law? 

I had studied law at A-Levels as an off chance and decided I liked it enough to do a degree in it and it has only grown from there! 

What was the academic support like? 

I have found the academic support good, with lecturers willing to see you in office hours for any issues you may have – I found these invaluable at postgrad. You also have the academic advisors you can turn to as well which in undergrad really helped. 

Have you had a favourite module? 

At undergrad my favourite module was Law of the Dead Hand by Nick Piska, which highlighted the law surrounding wills, inheritance and taxes which I found so interesting and helpful to know about, to the extent I have family members asking me questions! 

At postgrad there have been a couple, in particular Policing by Dr Allison Holmes and Contemporary Issues in Criminal Justice by Dr Antonia Porter, but in particular I enjoyed the trafficking of cultural heritage by Dr Sophie Vigneron, which has really opened my eyes to the world of cultural heritage and the issues surrounding it. 

What advice would you give to a prospective student coming to Kent? 

That time goes so quick at university so make sure to grab all the opportunities that come at you. It is however important to have a good social/ work life balance and to keep in contact with friends and family.