Meet our Kent LLM Ambassadors!

Each year, Kent Law School invites all LLM students who have successfully applied for scholarships at Kent to become LLM Ambassadors.

Our LLM Ambassadors have come from a wide range of cultures and backgrounds to study the Law School’s innovative Master’s in Law, the Kent LLM. They have each excelled in their previous studies and were invited to become LLM Ambassadors after being awarded a scholarship to support them in their postgraduate taught studies at Kent.

Faith Awoniyi: International Law

I recently finished my undergraduate degree in Law at Kent this past summer. What attracted me to continue studying at Kent, was the teaching and encouragement I received over the past three years. Kent’s approach to law is unlike a lot of law schools, as they are a critical law school. They encouraged me to look at the different layers that the law provides and look beyond what’s considered the ‘norm’.

What motivated me to choose the International Law pathway was due to fact that I did the International Law: Principles and Sources module as an undergraduate student. It developed my insights into the global legal system, and its ever-pressing influence not just on an international scale but also in national laws and policies. It also made me aware of the power dynamics and the development of relationships between states today.

I have also had the opportunity, on two occasions, to complete work experience at Bastian Lloyd Morris Solicitors, who specialise in family law.

During my bachelor’s degree, I had the opportunity to volunteer as a receptionist at the Kent Law Clinic. I believe that volunteering in such an environment is beneficial to the community around me, especially those who otherwise cannot access it.

I’m really excited to see what my year of study will bring!

Jennifer Baker: International Criminal and Human Rights Law

I completed my LLB Law degree at Kent Law School and chose to study an LLM at Kent firstly, for the fact that Kent allows you to learn and think critically about law – you find yourself questioning the “realities” that are presented to you. Most importantly, I came back to Kent because of the immense support I got from the Law School while I was on the LLB Law programme. The staff at Kent are friendly and are very approachable, willing to clarify whatever confusion you may have.

Advocating for and representing underserved communities is a passion of mine. I am a big advocate for change and I believe that, after my LLM at Kent, I will be fully equipped with the tools to effect change. I have volunteered for the refugee council in Wakefield, assisting asylum seekers throughout the process of their case, for example, helping to book solicitor appointments or just being a friend they can talk to. I am currently a fundraiser for the Global Connection for Women (GC4W), providing access to education for disabled young ladies in Nigeria and also an activist for the “Child not Bride” movement, mounting pressure on the Nigerian senate to abolish child marriage. When I am not busy, I enjoy going to the theatre, I also enjoy singing but only in the shower, away from prying ears.

Andrew Clarke: International Commercial and Intellectual Property Law

In June 2019, I obtained my undergraduate degree from Kent in English and Spanish Law (LLB) at First Class Honours. My medium-term career goal is to litigate internationally for a global law firm or to work with international organisations (such as the United Nations). My interest in Law and International Relations piqued primarily after I attended the Global Young Leaders Conference in July 2013. In 2015, my passion for international affairs led me to pursue an LLB programme abroad, at the University of Kent. I elected modules related to International Law to broaden my knowledge.

I believe that being an international student from Barbados allowed me to look at law and society from a global outlook. Notably, in my third academic year I studied abroad in Bilbao, Spain at the University of Deusto; this experience was invaluable and allowed me to immerse myself (again) in a new cultural environment, to develop Spanish language skills, and to network with locals and other Erasmus students.

My previous work experience and extra-curriculars during my undergraduate studies at Kent include: working as an editor for the Kent Student Law Review (KSLR) (Vol 5); acting as Vice-President for the Kent Caribbean Union; volunteering as Forum Rep for the Societies Executive of Kent Union in 2019; working as a Kent Law School Research Assistant on Dr Gavin Sullivan’s Lists, Databases and Global Security Law project; and publishing an article in the KSLR (Vol 3) titled ‘International disputes must still be solved by political means in 2017’.

Currently, I am a Kent Student Ambassador and a volunteer at Kent Law Clinic. I chose to study at Kent due to the Law School’s high reputation (including its critical and distinct approach to law), the approachability of lecturers, and the inclusive environment for students at the Canterbury campus. Having completed my first degree here, I returned for my LLM because my undergraduate experience was excellent.

Alex Jenner: International Commercial Law and Intellectual Property Law

My academic experience in Law began at Canterbury Christ Church University (CCCU), attaining a 1st Class LLB Degree in Law (with Honours). I have enrolled at Kent to further specialise my academic knowledge in law, with an LLM  majoring in International Commercial Law and minoring in Intellectual Property.

While at CCCU, I involved myself in a number of opportunities within the University. An engaged member of the law society, I successfully ran for a position on the 2018/2019 Law Society Committee as secretary. As an element of my Civil and Commercial Mediation module, I also received a certificate confirming my competency as a mediator, and represented CCCU with three other students in the National Mediation Competition held at University of West England, Bristol. As a team, we finished 4th in the competition, ranking as the highest undergraduate team. Among my academic achievements, I was also involved in the CCCU Men’s Hockey Club, maintaining a regular presence in the 1st team.

There are a number of reasons why I chose Kent as the location for my LLM. The law school has regularly maintained a high position in the leader boards, being among the top 20 Universities in the country. Furthermore, the expansive topics under the taught masters program largely appealed to me, especially modules such as WTO Law and Practice, and Laws of the Maritime, Air, and Outer Space; modules not available in the majority of top law schools.

The Kent LLM offers a choice of nine specialist pathways. Students also have the freedom to leave their choice of specialism open until after they arrive. Applicants can choose to study full-time or part-time, with the option to begin their studies in either September or January.

Learn more about life as a Kent LLM student on our LLM blog Mastering Law, written by LLM students for LLM students.

For more information about scholarships and bursaries, search our scholarships finder or contact the team in Kent Law School’s Postgraduate Office at klspgfunding@kent.ac.uk

You can also book your place at our next Open Event.