2nd in the country for advocacy – Kent Law Student

In the national BPP Advocate of the Year competition 2024.

Law LLB finalist Adam Graves competed in this year’s national BPP Advocate of the Year competition. Having reached the final 16 from approximately 70 competitors selected by their respective universities across the country, Adam placed second overall at the Grand Final held at the Central Criminal Court (also known as the Old Bailey) in London.

Adam explains that he decided to enter the national competition because he had ‘built up a lot of confidence over the course of completing the mock trial advocacy lawyering skills module with Darren Weir.’ He was subsequently selected as one of the two students to represent the University of Kent in the competition’s regional heats.

During the heats both Adam and his partner Chantelle Page conducted two different forms of advocacy. They won and Adam was selected as one of sixteen students from across all of the regional heats to participate in the Grand Final at the Central Criminal Court (the Old Bailey) in London on 23rd March 2024.

All 16 students had to conduct a cross examination, examination in chief, legal argument, and a client interview across civil and criminal trials. According to Adam, ‘this was a true test of ability. We also got taken on a tour of the historic Old Bailey which was brilliant.’

Speaking about the finals, Adam explains that ‘it was a great experience and I am delighted to have finished in second place in the national competition. I can also say that I have advocated at the Old Bailey which is quite cool I think!! Doing these external competitions is a great way of honing your skills as a Lawyer and I would like to thank Darren for all his support whilst I have been competing in these competitions. I would not have been able to do it without him!’

Darren Weir, Director of Lawyering Skills at Kent Law School, says ‘we are very proud of Adam’s placement. His advocacy skills have grown whilst he has been with us here at Kent, and I look forward to seeing where his career takes him.’

Mock Trial Advocacy is one of five co curricular lawyering skills modules offered at Kent Law School. The Lawyering Skills programme adds value to the student experience and enhances skills and employability.