Diversity Champions

Work-Study Scheme

Each year, we hire student-staff through the Work-Study Scheme, to support us in our promotional activities, and this year we have encouraged them to act as Diversity Champions by representing particular diverse characteristics.

We currently have 2 student-staff working with us, creating exciting content for social media, responding to queries, surveying students on their employability needs and promoting our diverse range of appointments and events. In addition to the characteristic they oversee, they help to increase promotion of events and activities supporting all protected characteristics.

Morgan Rodway-Wing, our Social Media Assistant, is studying for an MA in English and American Literature, and manages our social media accounts – she oversees the “Disability/Accessibility” characteristic;

“I have recently worked on a project for Virtual Volunteering Week 2021, where I have helped put together a whole week of events – from resources and information, to events and opportunities. I allocated a specific day to LGBTQ+ volunteering, in which students will find resources, events and virtual opportunities. As part of LGBT History Month, I have been promoting events both run by the university and external companies, such as ‘Finding LGBTQ+ Inclusive Employers’,  and I also ran a campaign for Disability History Month, liaising with academic schools and societies to share over social media. I work collaboratively with other student-staff across Student Services, recently working closely with the University of Kent’s Accessibility Network to create a resources webpage. I have been given the opportunity to attend sessions at the University of the Arts London’s ‘Tech for All’ conference on digital accessibility, which provided me with a fantastic insight into the ways in which we can continue to make our content on social media as accessible and diverse as possible. I have had a great deal of personal development and have been able to work on some fantastic diversity projects, and look forward to continuing to do so.”

Callie Che, our Employability Points Scheme Ambassador, is studying for a BSc in Marketing, and promotes the Employability Points (EP) Scheme – she oversees the “BAME” characteristic;

“My role is to share EP with students and create as much engagement as possible. Since the deadline to log points is approaching, I am currently working on creating content for social media to promote our sponsors, and the rewards that students can claim. I think my role is important, as students are  able to approach a fellow student without the intimidation of speaking to university departments; I am able to look at the role from a student’s point of view and decide what might be most relevant to them. I have also been promoting BAME-specific employability opportunities, and have assisted in creating content for LGBT History Month and involved events.”

Find out more about hiring student-staff through the Work-Study Scheme: get in touch with Hannah Greer or Jen Davey at workstudy@kent.ac.uk