Graduate profile: Luisa Pereira Pires, BA Architecture

We recently caught up with BA (Hons) Architecture graduate, Luisa Pereira Pires, who has recently successfully obtained a place studying Urbanism at the Digital Research Lab at the Architectural Association (AA). We chatted to Luisa about her time at Kent, and her current role at the architectural charity, Article25.

What attracted you to studying architecture at Kent?

I believe that what attracted me most to studying at Kent was the location and the funding offered for academic achievement during my final year of school.

Which aspects of your degree did you enjoy the most, and why?

I really enjoyed model making and the cross disciplinary opportunities studying at Kent provides. In our second and third years, we ended up organising projects together with the School of Anthropology and Conservation, and also a local urban theatre – The Wide Eyed Theatre – for Boing! Festival. I spent a lot of time in the workshop so I really made the most out of the facilities and materials as well as technology available. I particularly enjoyed the ‘Forms and Structure‘ module as I had the chance to work in the metal workshop to make a final kinetic roof model.

What advice would you give to prospective students looking to study architecture?

I would advise them to be friends with failure. I learnt a lot about the world of architecture through failure.

What does a typical day in your current role at Article25 look like?

At the moment we are all working from home and only occasionally do we go into the office. But a day working at Article 25 normally involves a lot of coordination between team members and also those on sites. We have team members working from different parts of the world which is quite exciting and international. We really make use of the time differences. We also get involved in carrying out duties to do with fundraising and events which is quite exciting and a creative collaborative process.

Congratulations on your place at the Architectural Association. What will you be studying?

Thank you! I will be studying Urbanism at the AA Digital Research Lab. My first encounter with parametric and generative architecture was precisely at AA, one year after graduating from Kent. That year there were a lot of failures, and they gave me a glimpse of the dangers and opportunities of the sort of architecture we could be moving towards. That’s why I decided to apply after my Part 2. To learn and experiment more.

What are your future plans/aspirations?

I plan to learn (and fail) as much as possible and engage with neurodiversity and disability in meaningful ways. Part M of Building Codes and Regulations needs to evolve; our built environment and the ways we create it need to become more accessible, particularly for those with invisible disabilities.

How would describe your time at Kent in three words?

Meaningful, engaging and international.