What do you do with your lunchtime?

Do you ever wonder if you could make better use of your hour at lunchtime and have more fun? Well, if you want some fresh air and exercise you could try a running club that is open to all and free of charge. Just turn up to the University of Kent Sports Centre on Wednesdays for a 1pm run with the experienced and friendly run leader, Barry, and the other intrepid staff and students. The usual format is a mix of steady running with some intervals in the middle followed by a nice easy run back. But don’t take our word for it, here is some feedback from a couple of the participants:

“It’ll be fun they said. Get away from your desk, stretch your legs, make the most of your lunchtime, feel the sunshine on your skin and get some exercise. And so, a little reluctantly, I found myself waiting nervously in the foyer of the Sports Centre for running club, escaping the inevitable drizzle and wondering what I’d let myself in for. Not really regarding myself as a runner, I was slightly apprehensive at meeting the lean and lithe looking instructor Barry but he quickly reassured me that the club aims at involving all abilities, improving your technique and perhaps most importantly, developing a supportive social atmosphere. Half an hour later my anxieties were all but forgotten as we relaxed into an easy jog following the shared self-consciousness of warming-up in public, complete with ridiculous ‘swimming-arms’, high knees and walking lunges.

“Every week we learn something new, from Fartlek training (I admit I sniggered a bit) to sprint relays, downhill running techniques to the dreaded uphill slogs (top technique seems to be to grin and bear it) and despite my tendency to complain, the sporadic aches and pains and knowledge that I’m probably holding up all the ‘proper’ runners, I still go back every week! There’s something vaguely satisfying at conquering the hill you didn’t think you could, running just that little bit faster or further and making it to the end of a hot and sweaty session looking just as puffed out as your fellow runners. Barry’s tips to improve our techniques, his encouragement to keep going and a bit of competitive banter between the group has helped me to learn to love running, to reap the health benefits and most importantly, to laugh even when it hurts!”

Alyson Hunt, Administrative Assistant, Undergraduate Office for Humanities and Social Sciences

“Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned runner, I heartily recommend coming along to the Wednesday lunchtime running club.  The sessions are relaxed and enormous fun, even the hill sessions, honest!  Barry who runs the show and puts us through our paces gently manages and encourages the group to ensure all abilities are catered for and is always full of useful tips and guidance without information overload taking over.  It is a great way to see the lovely campus we work on and has to be better than being sat at your desk munching your sarnies and working in your lunch break. I always feel better for going and if anything more energised for the afternoon, so come and join us!”

Paul Sales, Systems Support and Project Officer, KentVision Project

So why not join in next Wednesday? The group use Run Together and also coordinate via the Kent Sport sports development team that can be emailed on sportsdevelopment@kent.ac.uk

Sports Development Officer Sarah Kerly with run leader Barry Hopkins and some of the running club participants.