From MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management to founder of Web Edits

Jianzhong Yao completed his Master’s in Logistics and Supply Chain Management in 2021. He is now working in procurement for an information technology company, while also running a start-up.

What was your dream job as a child, and what is your dream job now?

As a child, I wanted to be a teacher; now I am an entrepreneur as a co-founder of GB Web Edits | 英连咨询 (GBWE), which is a Kent-based British professional services and consulting firm.

The primary vision of GBWE is to better connect Chinese companies with English-speaking markets through linguistic and cultural reconciliation. It specialises in localisation and cross-border business services, covering areas such as online presence transformation, cross-border trade enhancement, content development and transcreation, localisation research and business coaching.

Why did you choose Kent Business School?

Kent Business School has a good reputation in the field of supply chain and business education and some distinguished alumni. I also liked the beautiful and peaceful campus.

What are some of your favourite memories?

I enjoyed communicating with classmates from different backgrounds and collaborating on group learning tasks.

What have you been up to since graduating?

I’ve been working in procurement at an information technology company. My role involves improving procurement efficiency and compliance management. One of the most interesting and challenging parts of my role is the comprehensive analysis of different stakeholders’ feedback in order to improve the management process. I’m also running a start-up with two local partners. I return to the skills and knowledge gained in my studies regularly; the ability to analyse issues from multiple perspectives has been particularly useful when looking for the best solution to challenges.

What are your future plans?

I want to continue to strengthen my practical experience in the procurement industry in the UK market and take the start-up company’s business to a sound development stage.

What advice would you give to current students doing your course?

Make the most of each group study task to enhance your collaboration and communication skills. Enjoy the diverse environment at KBS and the University of Kent and keep connected to the community.

Jianzhong studied MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management at Kent Business School.