‘I’m an analyst for a consulting company specialised in all things business ethics’

Aurélie Haeck completed her UG studies in Business and Management with a year in Industry. We caught up with her to find out what she's doing now.

Aurelie Haeck

What was your dream job as a child, and what is your dream job now?

I was never set on a single dream job as a child and wanted to be everything from actress to astronaut! To this day, I don’t have a fixed dream role. I mainly aspire to have a lifelong learning and value-driven approach, and my current role in business ethics consulting fulfils those requirements. 

Why did you choose the Kent Business School?

I chose KBS because of its fantastic range of modules, which enabled me to get an expansive and in-depth understanding of business. The lecturers and careers team are also very passionate about what they are doing and support students throughout their time at Kent.

What are some of your favourite memories, achievements and experiences?

As part of Retail Sales Management, we made a trip to Bluewater to analyse visual merchandising techniques used by retailers. I really enjoyed the interactive nature of this and being able to see how theory can be applied in practice. I also fondly remember having picnics with friends at the Dockyard after lectures, or going on walks on campus between long hours spent studying at the library.

What have you been up to since graduating?

After graduating from KBS, I pursued a master’s degree in Sustainability and Management at the University of Bath to learn more about the role of organisations in shaping a sustainable future. Since then, I have been working as an Analyst for a consulting company specialised in all things business ethics – from anti-bribery and corruption to human rights.

What does your role involve? What do you like about it the most, and what are the most challenging aspects?

I help organisations design, build, and embed strong ethics and compliance programmes, with the aim to make them better corporate citizens. I like the variety that comes with having a projects-based job; no day is like another, and I am constantly learning. I work in a very fast paced environment, which can sometimes be challenging but mostly means I am never bored.

How do you apply the knowledge and skills you gained during your studies in your job, and what career advice would you give students and fellow alumni?

I have had plenty of opportunities to apply what I’ve learnt at KBS, from using theoretical concepts in practice to applying soft skills I developed throughout the course. I think it’s important to do something you genuinely enjoy and to seize any opportunities you can get.

What are your future plans / aspirations?

I want to keep learning, develop new skills and expand my horizon, ideally travel a lot … and get a dog!

What advice would you give to current students doing your course?

Be curious to learn more and ask lots of questions, be proactive in developing new skills through work experience or volunteering, and make the most of the opportunities and services offered by the University. Also, don’t be afraid to reach out if you need support.

If your ambitions include leading a business or building your own, choose this course. As a graduate made at Kent Business School, you’ll have the skills and confidence to lead and inspire others, be innovative, and manage sustainably.