KBS Alum: ‘Studying for a Master’s you develop an interest in innovation’

MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management graduate reflects on his journey to international success

Elliot Cox completed his Master’s in Logistics and Supply Chain Management in 2021. Now employed at DFDS, he has spent time working in Turkey and Lithuania.

What was your dream job as a child, and what is your dream job now?

As a child, I wanted to be a vet or work with animals. Now I hope to get a more senior position relating to terminal operations and optimisation.

Why did you choose Kent Business School?

Three reasons: it had the course I was interested in, it was a good school, and it was local to me.

What are some of your favourite memories, achievements and experiences?

Achieving a distinction, making new and interesting friends, being exposed to cutting-edge and interesting developments relating to supply chain/operations, and learning to work and learn independently, and deep dive into subjects.

What have you been up to since graduating?

Before graduating, I secured a trainee position with DFDS, starting in May 2021. Since then, from September 2021 I worked in Istanbul and have been in Klaipeda in Lithuania since September 2022.

What does your role involve?

In Turkey I was involved with vessel operations, scheduling and performance monitoring and visited our Pendik terminal several times. In Lithuania I’ve been working with terminal operations and have had to create my own workload and work independently. It’s challenging, will be valuable experience and I’m gaining important professional skills such as project scheduling, planning and communicating with various stakeholders in different locations and departments across the company.

How do you apply the knowledge and skills you gained during your studies in your job?

Studying for a Master’s you develop an interest in innovation, something that stays with you when you enter the professional world and helps you to keep driving forward.

What advice would you give to current students doing your course?

Work independently, but also be ready to be part of a team. Having good relationships with course mates can prove incredibly valuable as it does in the professional world. And focus on immediate and mid-term tasks and goals as these will eventually lead to longer term achievements.

Elliot studied MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management at Kent Business School.