‘Digital Marketing is a fast-growing industry with lots of opportunities’

Abel Casero Pino

Abel Casero Pino studied MSc Digital Marketing and Analytics, graduating in 2021. He tells us about his career progression and plans at Sleeping Giant Media in Folkestone, just down the coast in Kent.

What was your dream job as a child, and what is your dream job now?

As a child, I always wanted to become a game developer or tester. Now, I would love to become a Data Analyst Consultant. I love to see how data helps businesses to make better decisions.

Why did you choose the Kent Business School?

The university offers brilliant support to international students, from dedicated teaching to well-being support. On top of that, it has great facilities, with special mention for its excellent library.

What are some of your favourite memories, achievements and experiences?

During the master’s, KBS allowed us to present a course project to some Digital Marketing industry leaders. For the project, we had to develop a marketing plan and a digital solution for the Healthcare industry. The experience was insightful and positive, as we had the chance to receive feedback from these high-profile leaders about our projects and the opportunity to ask them any industry-related questions.

What have you been up to since graduating?

Digital Marketing is a fast-growing industry with lots of opportunities. While doing my Master’s at Kent Business School, I found an opportunity to work for Sleeping Giant Media as an SEO Executive. And after nearly two years, I am still working in the same agency but as a Senior Data Executive.

What does your role involve? What do you like about it the most, and what are the most challenging aspects?

I am part of the Data Team at Sleeping Giant Media. My role involves supporting clients with the implementation of data strategies and marketing plans to ensure that our clients are measuring all the relevant activities and interactions on their websites. My projects involve technical and analytical tools such as GTM, Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics, etc. The aspect I love the most about working with my current agency is that I have the chance to experience different industries and challenges every day. You always learn something new.

How do you apply the knowledge and skills you gained during your studies in your job, and what career advice would you give students and fellow alumni?

Thanks to the master’s, I had the chance to learn all the foundations of Digital Marketing in-depth, which has allowed me to progress quickly in my current role. The course offers a variety of interesting modules, enabling you to learn about different areas of the industry. I would suggest making good use of your time in all of them. However, try to focus on those areas you are most interested in and make the most of it.

What are your future plans / aspirations?

Now, I am focused on expanding my skill set and gaining experience. I enjoy my role at Sleeping Giant Media as a Senior Data Executive, and my immediate goal is to become a Data Lead within the agency.

What advice would you give to current students doing your course?

If I could advise new and current students at Kent Business School, it would be to make the most of their time as students. KBS has a lot to offer to help you grow personally and professionally. You need to be consistent and show initiative. Take this chance to meet new people and learn new perspectives. You will benefit massively.

Abel studied MSc Digital Marketing and Analytics at Kent Business School. Find out more about the course, here.