Crowning glory: Dental patient system wins Start Up Final

BSc Maths and Statistics student Seth wins £1,000 in prize money in the annual competition to launch a successful student start up

The Business Start Up Journey pitching finals took place on Wednesday 29 March at the University’s Sibson Building.

Twelve student businesses went head-to-head in a bid for the top prize of £1,000. From supporting mental health through floristry, to using robotics and AI to improve efficiency in business and networking, the Kent students pitched a range of innovative and ambitious projects.

BSc Maths and Statistics student, Seth Mashate (pictured above centre) scooped the top prize for his business, Data Ravens, which aims to streamline and use data more effectively in the dental industry.

MSc Business Analytics student Patrick Ubuane (pictured right) was runner up for myskillconnect, a portal for creatives in Nigeria and MSc Computing student Korben Mabbs (pictured left) with a home security surveillance device used in university halls.

Judges were CEO of Dune Daniel Rubin, Former KBS student and owner of Jehucal, Emay Enemokwu , Laura Bounds MBE owner of Kent Crisps and Nadia Simpson (also known as Ewura-Esi) a former KBS and ASPIRE student who runs haircare brand, Nu Elefa.

Judges (left to right) Emay, Laura Bounds, Daniel Rubin and Nadia Simpson

Winner, Seth, said: ‘In the healthcare industry, they aren’t utilising data to the best of their ability. Data Ravens offers sophistication that is currently being used in other industries within their practices. Dental practices collect so much information but they don’t have the time to use any of it, to track their recall rates. What my company will do is alleviate that data training.

‘It felt great to win, I wasn’t very experienced in public speaking, so the process was invaluable. Irrespective of what happens today, nothing should stop the other businesses procuring business, they all have potential.’
Winner Seth holds his trophy and certificate outside the University's Sibson Building
Winner Seth has hit on a idea to improve dental practices with data management

Runner up, Patrick said: ‘It feels so good to come runner up, I put in so much work to do this and it’s great to be validated and recognised in this way.’

External Engagement Manager Rebecca Smith, who oversees ASPIRE said: ‘Pitching finals is a snapshot of just some of the amazing students we have worked with over the year and once again the diversity of businesses being presented is really phenomenal.

It’s so exciting to be working with these amazing entrepreneurs who have such brilliant ideas and such passion to help make the world a better place. It makes me feel very optimistic for the future – something that’s really needed right now!”

The judges and finalists holding their certificates outside Sibson Building
All of the finalists were commended for having great business ideas

Kent Business School finalists

BSc Business and Management student Tahsin Haque with Flower Focus.

Encouraging wellness through flowers, a floristry business specialising in providing workshops for floral arrangement.

She says: ‘I want to encourage the use of flowers to improve mental health. ASPIRE helped me to realise where a problem was and find a solution.

‘I’ve now been in contact with wholesalers and stores and will put it all into practice after my final year at university.’

MBA student Pranav Kashyap with Zesti.

Robotic Process Automation services enabling businesses to reduce inefficient manual repetitive processes.

He says: ‘My business is all about technology for RPA -robotic process automation, this is a technology where we use software rewards to improve mundane tasks.

‘I have worked with this technology over the last six years but now I want to launch my own. The support from the team has been amazing -especially Artur. I have to work on the marketing side of the business, that’s how to take my company forward.’

BSc Management student, Izzy Cornelius-Merrell – Coeliac Kitchen.

Nutritious and delicious ready meals for the gluten-intolerant market.

She says: ‘I was diagnosed with coeliac disease two years ago. Going into supermarkets the options out there were so limited. Looking at social media, I realised other coeliacs were feeling the same as me.

‘I did an enterprise module as part of my course, which Artur saw and encouraged me to take part in ASPIRE.  They’ve given me support in all areas and encouraged me to be optimistic and not pessimistic.’

MSc Finance Kelvin Prince Asare-Obuobi – Syka, banking app in Nigeria

Increasing access to finance, Kelvin’s business is online banking system in Nigeria.

He says: ‘My business is Syka which is a banking company.  ASPIRE have really helped me by facilitating and providing all the necessary resources to help me build a business. The ASPIRE sessions introduced me to a group of students who are entrepreneurs as well, no man is an island and is has been great to boost my network.’

MSc Business Analytics Patrick Ubuane – myskillconnect

A portal for creatives in Nigeria to connect, find work and get paid.

He says: ‘Before I came to the UK to study, I’d already read about ASPIRE and it really attracted me to the University of Kent. It has been wonderful, the mentors Jo and John have helped me in all areas of my business and I have had one to one interaction, I have been able to get more details and research.’

MBA student Inetina Ebitonmor – Yellow Table Talk

Empowerment of young women through mentoring, in-person mother/daughter ‘dates’, events and virtual conferences.

She says: ‘To date, we’ve mentored 40 girls through difficult times and we hope we’ve made powerful and tangible changes to their future outlooks.  ASPIRE have really helped elevate my business.

It was exciting to have the opportunity to showcase the business today and take part in this competition.’

Interested in launching your own business? Put plans into action, with ASPIRE’s Business Start Up Journey.