‘I will mentor and empower girls with the tools to become change makers’

Inetina Ebitonmor who is studying for her MBA at Kent Business School, is an expert in Financial Markets in Lagos, Nigeria.  Working in a largely male-dominated field and being mum to three daughters, Inetina developed a new passion for improving female representation in the workforce, which led her to a new business venture.

Yellow Table Talk is a mentoring company that works with a group of devoted therapists, coaches and parents to help empower girls with confidence.

‘I’m passionate about my professional career in financial markets but after a decade of working in the field, I realised how tough it can be. As time went on, I started reading up on women at work, the outlook for women in leadership and was greatly motivated to make a change.  

Through bringing up my three daughters, I knew the extent of peer pressure on young people today.  Issues that arise centre around gender inequality, cyberbullying, the pressure of social media, mental health issues, sexual harassment or abuse, identity issues, friendship issues, and inadequate education/skills continue to have a negative impact on young people.

I devised the concept of a ‘mother and daughter date’ event which would bring together employers, mothers and professionals to offer an unconventional approach to mentoring and empowering adolescent girls by offering up an open discussion of difficult topics.

We initially reserved a restaurant for 20 participants (mothers and daughters) but had to limit the number to 50 due to the restaurant’s capacity limitations when the number of attendees increased to 60. Since then, periodic events have been successful and have the potential to expand to other regions.  

Many issues were raised and openly discussed without judgment. From identity, self-esteem, and mental health, to sex, relationships, goals, and friendships there was no issue dismissed. There was a palpable sense of relief and reassurance in the room from young people and their parents to overcome barriers and start talking. 

Before long we were booking out restaurants with huge groups of mother and daughters (and fathers, if there wasn’t a mother in the family). As well as events in Lagos, we started receiving requests to also have the event in other parts of Nigeria, in the US and in Canada which we hope to pursue in the future.

In September 2022, I left Nigeria to start an MBA in the UK to further enhance my career and to continue mentoring and empowering adolescent girls and young women. 

When I discussed my business idea to the MBA course leaders, they directed me to ASPIRE for assistance. The team have been fantastic so far in offering guidance and helping me to put up a better structure for my business idea and Yellow Table Talk is also the subject of my MBA report.

To date, we’ve mentored 40 girls through difficult times and we hope we’ve made powerful and tangible changes to their future outlooks. With the help of  ASPIRE and my MBA I hope to make this venture a global success.’

Imagine a gender equal world. A world free of bias, stereotypes, and discrimination. A world that’s diverse, equitable, and inclusive. A world where difference is valued and celebrated. Together we can forge women’s equality. Collectively we can all #EmbraceEquity.