National Apprenticeship Week 2023: Day in the life of an IBM Apprentice

National Apprenticeship Week (NAW) 2023 runs from 6th to 13th February and celebrates the positive impact that apprenticeships make to individuals, businesses and the wider economy.

Here at Kent Business School we offer a wide range of apprenticeships alongside our traditional degree courses that enable you to earn as you learn and get a fast-track path to the career you want.

Apprenticeships on offer include our Level 6 Chartered Manager in Kent, or our Level 6 Chartered Manager in London. Our Level 7 Senior Leader HDA , MSc Healthcare Management Apprenticeship our MA in Business Management Apprenticeship, and our brand new and exciting Level 7 Operational Research Specialist option.

The theme for this year’s National Apprenticeship Week is Skills for Life – reflecting on how apprenticeships can help individuals to develop the skills and knowledge required for a rewarding career.

So what better way to celebrate that a snapshot into the day in the life of one of our apprentices – Riya Abraham who is taking an apprenticeship in Business and Management with tech giant IBM?

Riya loves working in the company’s beautiful London office, close to the London Eye.

She says: I discovered degree apprenticeships through my dad who had heard it on the radio. They sounded really interesting and so I researched them. I discovered the benefits of doing a degree apprenticeship such as getting paid whilst earning a degree and having the opportunity to gain amazing work experience.

‘My first day was fairly different as this was still during when COVID restrictions were present. I had a virtual induction where I met the rest of the degree apprenticeship cohort. My university induction, however, was in person and was not as scary as I had thought it would have been. This is because I had some other IBM degree apprentices with me.

‘The social aspect of my apprenticeship has been my favourite part as we all socialise and go out after work is done.

‘The lecturers and support that Kent Business School provides has been super helpful. The way they collaborate with my manager and have catch up calls to address any issues is very useful as well.’

Watch our video above for a typical day in the life for Riya.

The theme for National Apprenticeship Week 2023 is “Skills for Life”; reflecting on how apprenticeships can help individuals to develop the skills and knowledge required for a rewarding career, and businesses to develop a talented workforce that is equipped with future-ready skills.