Ryan started the business in January 2017 at the age of 18, selling vintage trainers. His stock soon outgrew his bedroom and he took a premises in Brighton’s Boundary Road where his mantra is to create a sense of community to his store. He now stocks a mixture of trainers and streetwear.
Ryan says: “I’m really excited to win this award. It’s not been an easy time to start a business, but I’ve shown that self-belief and a positive approach can go a long way.
“The award is recognition of the hard work and vision of not just me, but also my small, dedicated team who are equally passionate about OG Kicks. We are constantly pushing, growing and developing. We don’t just sell products, we also sell an experience. Our aim is to make that experience as exceptional as possible, and we are putting Brighton’s sneaker scene in the spotlight across London and the south east”.
Winners from other categories in the Southeast awards, were:
- Business & Product Innovation Award – Trenches lawn
- Community Award – Grandads Front Room
- Digital/ e-commerce Business of the year – Highstreet Outlet Clothing Ltd
- Environmental/Sustainability Award – Puremess
- Family Business of the Year – The English Soap Company
- High Growth Business of the Year– Puddle Ducks
- International Business of the Year – Innovative Physics
- Micro Business of the Year – Simply Ice Cream
- Self Employed/ Sole Trader of the year – Pure Connection Pets
- Start-Up Business of the Year – Prsnt Ltd
- Wellbeing Award – We Are Tilt Limited
Winners at the event will go on to the national final on Tuesday May 3 2022.
Dean of Kent Business School, Professor Marian Garcia, said: “As a School, we are committed to supporting small businesses who play such a vital role in the economic prosperity of our region and country. The category of Young Entrepreneur aligns with our work supporting responsible enterprise and start-ups and we are pleased for the winner.”
Tickets for the UK final are now on sale and closing date for booking is midnight Tuesday 3 May.
Ticket Costs £120 including VAT. Book now.
For more information on OG Kicks visit https://ogkicks.uk/