LGBTQ+ Network Co-Chair Bob McKay: ‘Feeling Heard is so Important’

Bob McKay is Education and Student Experience Manager at Kent Business School. Here, to celebrate LGBTQ+ History Month, he tells us about his role as co-chair of the University’s Staff LGBTQ+ Network.

Tell us about yourself and your role at KBS

I’m the Education and Student Experience Manager within the Professional Services Team here at Kent Business School, but I also act as one of four co-chairs for the University’s Staff LGBTQ+ Network.

What is the LGBTQ+ Staff Network?

The Network is an informal network of Kent staff who identify as LGBTQ+ or allies. We meet for social events, but also act as a ‘critical friend’ to the Institution, ensuring that LGBTQ+ views and voices are taken into consideration for all aspects of life here at Kent.

How did you get involved?

I first became aware of the Network through my work with the Student Success Project; I started attending the monthly Network Lunches on the Canterbury Campus and then termly meetings. I’m not very good at resisting the urge to get involved with work on equality, diversity and inclusion so it wasn’t long before I was nominated as co-chair!

What are your goals and aspirations for the LGBTQ+ community here?

I’m very privileged to truly bring my “whole self” to work at KBS, and I don’t need to hide any aspects of my sexuality. I know, however, that this isn’t possible for everyone, so one of my aspirations is to help Kent to become the kind of place where all queer staff and students can be themselves without judgement from colleagues or students. I also aspire for Kent to keep pushing the boundaries in terms of EDI practice and ensuring that this is fully embedded as part of our “business as usual”.

Any incredible events/moments with the Network since you began?

I can be a bit of a party lover, so one night at a local gay bar sticks in my memory, but there have been so many more –  advocating for LGBTQ+ rights with the Archbishop of Canterbury leading up to the Lambeth Conference (now due to take place in July 2022) was particularly incredible and hosting an LGBTQ+ Quiz during lockdown where Vice Chancellor Karen Cox joined us (and did exceptionally well!) was really fun.

What is it like as an LGBTQ+ person working at KBS?

One of the areas we all need to constantly work on is recognising that experiences are intersectional and individual, so I can’t answer that question! My experience as a gay man at KBS however has been so positive; I came from a sector where LGBTQ+ identity was much more sensitive than it is here. My line manager (KBS Director of Operations Paul Verrion) has to be one of the most understanding, inclusive people I have ever worked for. Feeling heard is so important for marginalised people and Paul does a great job of really listening to and understanding my lived experiences.

How are LGBTQ+ Students Supported at KBS?

Our Student Support and Student Success and Attainment teams are staunch LGBTQ+ allies, and many of them wear inclusive rainbow lanyards to signal this. We also work closely with Kent Union which has an LGBTQ+ representative on their Union Parliament and an LGBTQ+ Network which can provide advice and support to LGBTQ+ students. Ultimately, the message to our students is that you can come to us for help and support whenever you need it without fear of judgement or misunderstanding.

Any advice for LGBTQ+ staff/students who are looking for support?

Sometimes being LGBTQ+ can feel very lonely and it can be hard to feel that people will understand what you’re going through. I would just say please don’t be alone – reach out to the Network, or to a friend or colleague that you can trust.

How have things changed for the LGBTQ+ community over the last five years/10 years?

Answering this question would be a thesis in itself!  For trans members of our community, or for LGBTQ+ People of Colour, things haven’t changed nearly as much or as quickly as they should have. Personally, having grown up at the height of Section 28, it can be quite difficult to let go of the experiences I had growing up. My hope, though, comes from seeing the experiences of my friend’s children – one of whom has come out at the age of 12, which would have been unthinkable when I was at school. Her school friends’ understanding of LGBTQ+ identities is far beyond that of many adults I know, and so that tells me that – albeit slowly – things are moving in the right direction.

LGBT+ History Month 2022 runs through February.

LGBTQ+ History Month is being celebrated across universities in collaboration with Kent Union, Information Services, Student Support and Wellbeing and many many more. Find out more here.