MSc Management Students: My 14-Week Placement

Anmol Thapa and Thomas Rowe, both MSc Management students at Kent Business School (KBS) in Medway have recently completed their 14-week placements. Read about their experiences here.

My name is Anmol Thapa and I originally come from a Nepalese background with my father being a retired soldier from serving in the Brigade of Gurkhas in the British Army. I am thankful to be here studying MSc Management at Kent Business School, especially with the added bonus of a 14-week paid placement.

Studying at KBS

The best thing about KBS is the learning environment. The Drill Hall Library and learning facilities help motivate me to achieve the best I possibly can. Also, the various networking opportunities available which allow you to meet different people from around the world, including highly respected lecturers makes KBS very recommendable.

My placement

I was fortunate enough to secure a placement as a Data Analyst at Brachers LLP. Knowing that the law firm was widely respected in the Kent area with many accomplishments and certifications made the choice so much easier.

My interview was conducted by the director and partner of the law firm along with a member of HR and I found it to be a breeze as the MSc Management course involves a specific module whereby students are well-prepped for interviews and presentations.

The first few weeks of the placement were a challenge, as time was needed to adapt to the company culture and to also get used to the new jargon terms when conducting work. However, this grew with time and the support of my colleagues, and I had a great supervisor who was there for me every step of the way. It was reassuring to know I could count on them with any doubts I had.

Achievement

My proudest moment must have to be when our top client’s regional manager personally recommended my placement to keep me on and offer me a full-time position. I was already excited to learn that they wished for me to stay on but to hear this news felt like all my hard work had paid off. I have since been offered a permanent full-time position as a Data Analyst. I have heard stories about university students gaining full-time employment contracts from undertaking placements, but I never thought I would be one of those students. I truly have KBS to thank for this opportunity.

Advice

I would say to anybody considering joining a course that includes a placement opportunity, take it! Being given a placement is an opportunity that should not be missed.

Future

I hope to gain further experience in my current position in order to build a foundation for my portfolio. There are already talks of branching out to different departments within the firm and I hope to move up in the industry. Attaining a Master’s degree in Management alongside this experience is likely to open many different doors for me.

My name is Thomas Rowe and I’m studying MSc Management at KBS. I previously moved from Hertfordshire to Wales, to the USA, and then returned back to England where I looked around a few universities. I chose to study at the University of Kent as I believed it had the best offering.

Studying at KBS

I chose to study at KBS because this the MSc Management course was being offered would allow me to differentiate myself; offering me the opportunity to apply knowledge gained in my undergraduate Biomed degree to a business setting. Overall, KBS showed a strong offering for the degree, extra-curricular opportunity, and the chance to network.

My placement

KBS pre-empted what I needed, with a module dedicated to employability as part of the programme. The application process was quite straightforward – I simply sent off a CV and was invited up for an interview. That went well and I was successful in securing a placement.

I chose to do a placement at the National Physical Laboratory because it was unique. As measurement science underpins the world around us, the NPL offers incredible variety which I thrive on. My ambition is to work for the government, and at the NPL I could see myself making an impact on a national scale.

I believe I was chosen by NPL because I put myself forward as a student that had a wealth of extra-curricular experience and who was highly adaptable; wanting to learn more and build a foundation of skills. I also believe I offered a unique mindset to the product management team as someone who was young and quite non-standard.

Achievement

I am most proud of being called into a meeting and being offered a job during my placement. I’m now a full-time Product Analyst at the National Physical Laboratory. They pay a little better and my pass has changed colour. Quite exciting!

Advice

I didn’t quite realise how inexperienced I was until this placement. I’ve undertaken work experience before, short-term; led societies and volunteered, but working at a larger organisation is on another level. Gaining experience in this is a necessity and I can see why it would differentiate you from someone who hasn’t had the experience.

Future

I hope to keep producing impact for the UK and International countries through my work.

Many thanks to Anmol and Thomas for sharing their experiences. Find out more about the MSc Management programme at Kent Business School in Medway.