Dr Michele Bigoni Awarded Accounting Scholarship

Dr Michele Bigoni, Senior Lecturer in Accounting at Kent Business School has been awarded the Margit F. and Hanns Martin Schoenfeld Scholarship by The Academy of Accounting Historians.

This annual scholarship is bestowed to encourage and support research on the history of accounting by doctoral students and recently appointed accounting faculty. The scholarship was initiated by Dr. Hanns Martin Schoenfeld and the late Dr. Margit Schoenfeld in recognition of their belief in the importance of historical scholarship to accounting education and research. A monetary award is available to support research in the field of accounting history and develop further publications by the recipient. Projects of an international nature and those pursued by scholars whose first language is not English are particularly invited.

On accepting the award, Michele exclaimed, “I am honoured to have been selected as the recipient of the 2016 Margit F. and Hanns Martin Schoenfeld Scholarship, and would like to thank the members of the Academy of Accounting Historians for this prestigious award. I am indebted to Professor Enrico Deidda Gagliardo and Professor Warwick Funnell who have provided critical input to my research. Not only will the award improve my research standing, but the funding attached to it is invaluable to some of my upcoming research projects on accounting history.

“I believe the award has recognised the efforts I have made in this fascinating field. At the same time, as it is the first time this Scholarship has been awarded to an Italian scholar, I believe that the Academy of Accounting Historians has also intended to recognise the increasing influence of Italian scholars in the field. I am sure that present and future Italian accounting historians, drawing from our rich archives, will contribute even more to our understanding of how accounting works in its social and institutional context.”

Michele, previously a lecturer in accounting at Queen’s University Management School, has taught Financial and Management Accounting at both undergraduate and postgraduate level in Italy and the UK. He has done extensive research in accounting history, most especially on the role of accounting as a means to exercise influence and power. His research has received a high level of praise in the literature as he is considered one of the most influential scholars in the field of accounting in churches. He has received numerous prizes for research, including the Head of School Research Prize 2015 during his employment with Queen’s University.

Congratulations to Michele from all at Kent Business School.

Find out more.