Graduate success: Millie Powell, Graphics Developer at Formula One

Millie Powell

Millie Powell, Graphics Developer at Formula One, studied Multimedia Technology and Design with a Year in Industry and graduated in 2020. Read on to find out more about her role and her advice for students considering the same career path.

How do you feel your time at Kent prepared you for working in the industry?
Doing such a varied course set me up perfectly me for a role with a wide range of responsibilities, where I need a range of skill sets and knowledge of a whole load of different software. My Year in Industry also helped to prepare me for working in design and development – that experience was invaluable!

What did you learn in your degree that has been beneficial to you in your role?
So much! How to use key design/development software, how to code, model, animate… but also how to manage time within projects, how to work within a team efficiently and how to take on and act upon feedback in such a subjective field.

What are your main responsibilities and tasks?
Designing and developing the on-screen graphics seen as part of an F1 broadcast.

Are you working on any exciting projects that you can share?
A whole bunch of new styling for 2022!

What are your plans for the future?
At the moment I’m really enjoying this new adventure at F1 after a few years of self-employment, and hoping to stay working in TV for the foreseeable.

What advice would you give to someone wanting to follow the same career path?
Take as many opportunities to widen your skillset and experience as you can. Teach yourself extra skills in your spare time, get work experience, do some freelance work – it makes you a better creative!

What was your favourite memory from your time at Kent?
I made some incredible friends (both in and outside of my course), and even the ones I don’t still keep in touch with really made the experience.