Lara Abdelsamad

Feed URL: https://blogs.kent.ac.uk/brussels-profiles/2013/01/07/lara-abdelsamad/feed/?withoutcomments=1

Lara Abdelsamad completed an MA in International Conflict Analysis at the University of Kent’s Brussels School of International Studies in 2010.  She now works as Grants Coordinator at the Norwegian Refugee Council in Beirut where she acquires and manages donor grants for UNHCR coordinated programmes supporting refugees of the conflict in Syria.

Below she speaks about the school and how it has helped her secure the position that she currently holds.

“Pursuing my MA in International Conflict Analysis at BSIS was a stepping stone to a solid professional career. I currently occupy the position of works as Grants Coordinator at the Norwegian Refugee Council’s Beirut office having previously been Operations Manager at Pursue ltd., a European consultancy,  managing projects on capacity building and development of Palestinians in the camps of Lebanon.”

“My message to anyone looking to pursue post graduate studies in the field of international conflict or political sciences more broadly would be to seriously consider BSIS; not only do its academic programs speak for themselves, but students enjoy services in employment and placement facilitation, housing and networking while enjoying a vibrant and dynamic social life among a pool of students from all over the world. Brussels is also an excellent place to attend weekly seminars and conferences at the EU and other international organisations which BSIS also helps arrange.”

“The reasons I chose BSIS were further reaffirmed throughout my experience pursuing my Master’s degree. BSIS brought together a quality education program and cosmopolitan experience at the heart of Europe. The students and professors are closely knit, and access to information and advisory sessions is facilitated. BSIS helped me secure my current post, not only were my courses very relevant and current in their content, but the experience helped me reshape the way I think and work. Across the board, the modules I chose have contributed to my professional course, however, the conflict programme (International Conflict and Security) specifically has enabled me to participate in producing a training module in Conflict Sensitivity that my team delivers to local NGO’s and civil society in areas vulnerable to or currently suffering from conflict be it in Yemen, Lebanon or Palestinian camps.”

“During my year at BSIS I travelled through Europe, made wonderful friendships and got to know and love Brussels as a city and the graduation ceremony at the Canterbury cathedral in the UK was an extraordinary event. I take pride in having had the opportunity to study at the University of Kent and would highly recommend BSIS to anyone considering studies in this field.”

This entry was posted in alumni. Bookmark the permalink.