Lanni Lantto

Feed URL: https://blogs.kent.ac.uk/brussels-profiles/2013/01/04/lanni-lantto/feed/?withoutcomments=1

Lanni Lantto completed an LLM in International Law with International Relations in 2006 with a focus on women and peacekeeping.  On her return to the United States she interned at a couple of women’s rights NGOs and taught at universities in New York.  She is now an Eco Fashion Designer & Consultant.

What do you think were the key attributes of BSIS when you were here?

I chose to attend BSIS to get a more international perspective on issues that I cared about.  Coming from the USA in the mid-2000s, I was frustrated with American politics.  Studying in Brussels with students from all over the world helped me go from anger to clarity.  My area was International Law and studying United Nations treaties gave me a better understanding of world politics in general.  I liked that I was given the freedom to write my thesis on a subject I was passionate about regarding women and peace.  I did go on to present my research at 2 international conferences which led me to meet some great people.

Do you think that your studies at BSIS helped you secure your current post?

After graduating, my degree (and my pro-active knock-on-doors attitude) helped me gain internships at a couple women’s rights NGOs in Washington, DC.  Having a master degree also gave me the credentials I needed to teach at university.  I’m not certain it has helped in my current role as an Eco-Fashion Designer but I surely do like shocking people with my academic background!

Would you recommend BSIS to potential students and if so what would you tell them?

My most valuable experience at BSIS was the people that I met from all over the world.  I still keep in contact with many of them and we are in the process of planning a reunion.  In one year at BSIS, I met the most diverse and wonderful friends who have welcomed me into their homes from Portugal to London.  We’ve gone site-seeing in their home towns and they have come to visit my family, and we know that that door will always be open.  My friends in the US always ask me how or why I am travelling oversees so much, and it is honestly, because of the people I met while at BSIS.

This entry was posted in alumni. Bookmark the permalink.