Film Student Harvey Ryan on his experience of being a Production Runner for Two Rivers Media

It was an incredible experience from beginning to end.

Can you describe a work day as a runner?

My day began by assisting the producer and director of the documentary, which was being filmed on the Kent Canterbury campus. I carried equipment to the room where filming was to take place.Following this, I helped to set up the equipment whilst the director and producer were setting up integral aspects of filming such as the camera and lighting.

Once the set was ready, I then helped the director by acting as the interviewee, this gave him a good idea of how his shot would look and allowed him to make any changes he felt were necessary. When the first interviewee arrived, it was my responsibility to provide coffee to everyone. The interview lasted roughly two hours. During this time, I quietly observed to ensure that I did not interrupt the filming process.

What was it like working with an independent production company?

It was an incredible experience from beginning to end. An enormous part of that is due to the producer David Mckinlay and the director Stephen Bennett. Throughout the day, they were incredibly welcoming and understanding of my lack of experience on a set. Despite the fast-paced nature of setting up and turnovers, they were consistently patient in explaining how something works or running through what we were about to do.

I was made to feel very included on the set as well, with Stephen asking what I thought personally of the shot(s) they were setting up for the interviews. Additionally, when there was time to, both David and Stephen took the time to talk to me about my studies, as well as many different aspects of filmmaking, both documentary and narrative.

How do you think this experience will help you in your studies at Kent? 

It will help in several ways I imagine. The most significant of these is how I can apply the experience of filmmaking I obtained during the shoot to my studies of film. 

I am a second-year Film student who wants to gain more experience on production sets. So, when this opportunity came to my attention, the option to apply for it seemed obvious. 

What attracted you to this role? 

When I first saw the advert for the role, I was immediately interested as I am a second-year film student who wants to obtain more experience on sets. So, when this opportunity came to my attention, the option to apply for it seemed obvious. 

Any personal highlights from the day? 

The entire experience could be considered a personal highlight if I’m to be completely honest. However, if I am to select one moment, it would be when I was asked for my opinion on the camera set-up they had for one of the interviewees. This stuck with me particularly because of how included and important I felt by the producer and director, as though my opinion truly meant something towards the interviews taking place that day. 

What skills did you take away from this experience? 

Of the many skills I learned from this experience, I am most grateful for now feeling as though I have significant experience of how a documentary set operates in both its fast-paced nature and the upmost care required to achieve something everyone can be proud of. 

What tips would you give to students who are interested in being a runner? 

I would say that when an opportunity like this is advertised again, absolutely go for it! It can be unbearably daunting at times to apply for the role of a runner and feel as though you don’t have enough experience to take on the role, but everyone must start off somewhere. If it worries you that members of the crew will look at you negatively for a lack of experience, I can assure you that it is the opposite of this entirely. They will not hesitate in making you feel included and important as a runner, and any difficulties you may have with equipment or anything else, they will make sure to reassure you and will typically always help. 

How did you find out about this role?  

From an advertisement on the University of Kent’s Art and Humanities’ Instagram page.