The School of Arts wishes to appoint six EDI (Equality, Diversity, Inclusivity) Student Reps for the academic year 2020/21.
Each EDI Student Rep will receive 25 Employability Points. The EDI Student Rep role is an exciting opportunity to make a difference within the School of Arts community.
We are looking for highly motivated and enthusiastic students across all subjects (Art History, Drama and Theatre, Film, and Media Studies) and levels (UG, PGT and PGR) who would like to work with Arts staff to improve the School environment and engage the student body so that we collectively address inequalities and work together towards building a diverse, inclusive and anti-racist community where everyone can thrive.
The EDI Student Reps are the School’s EDI Ambassadors and will work closely with the Director and Deputy Director of EDI. These posts are currently held by Dr Lavinia Brydon (Film) and Dr Margherita Laera (Drama). The relationship will be one of collaboration, mutual support and respect.
- Consult with, and represent the voice of, Arts students especially in terms of protected characteristics: age; disability; gender reassignment; marriage and civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity; race; religion and belief; sex; sexual orientation
- Support the work of the Arts EDI committee by attending and contributing to all termly meetings (held twice a term autumn and spring, once in summer)
- Engage with our efforts to implement our Athena SWAN (Advance HE’s gender equality charter) Action Plan and our response to the Black Lives Matter movement
- Participate in official School events to highlight and communicate the importance of EDI throughout the year (e.g. contributing to Welcome Week sessions participating in EDI training and talks, attending special meetings)
- Engage the student body with EDI issues and increase the visibility of EDI in the School (e.g. championing and taking part in surveys/focus groups, organising student-focussed events and other initiatives)
- Help to increase visibility of EDI in the School by implementing and running marketing initiatives (e.g. social media accounts, poster campaigns) – with support from the School’s Marketing team as required.