Hear from Tizard MSc Applied Behaviour Analysis student Jenny Watson

What attracted you to the programme?

The reputation of the Tizard Centre, the robustness of the course and the structure of having full lecture weeks to cover each topic, meaning being immersed in the learning environment, and then having time to complete assignments.

Which areas of study did you find particularly inspiring?

I enjoyed being taught by experienced lecturers who work with those with intellectual disabilities (IDD) in practise, it was also very inspiring being part of a student cohort from different backgrounds who all work very hard to support individuals with IDD. It was inspiring to be surrounded by people with a similar passion for supporting those with IDD.

What sort of support is there for postgraduate students?

The tutors and lecturers on the ABA and PBS courses were very supportive and communicative.

Does the course allow you to pursue your own interests?

There is opportunity for work-based learning which means you can tailor your learning to the work that you do outside of the course.

What do you think about the facilities at Kent?

Having spent the first year of my MSc learning online during Covid, it was wonderful coming to campus and experiencing the facilities there, and the library and cafes are great.

How has this course changed you?

It has opened up a lot of opportunities for me, both through the people I met on the course, the tutors, and the qualification itself which has opened up career opportunities for me.

What are your plans for the future?

I am currently working on an NHS CAMHS team, which I love, and have recently passed my Board Certified Behaviour Analyst (BCBA) exam and become a UK certified behaviour analyst (UKBA cert). I hope to continue to work in Positive Behaviour Support and supporting this wonderful community of individuals.

Any advice for prospective students?

Be prepared to work very hard, to learn a lot and to be proactive about your learning. You will get out of the course what you put into it, and it will be very rewarding!