BA Social Work student Sophie Rushby chats about her time at Kent

“There has not been a day in the last three years that I haven’t enjoyed”

What attracted you to study at Kent?

Initially I was attracted by Kent’s position in the university league tables for Social Work. I did some of my own research and upon attending the open day, there was a feel I got from the staff and campus facilities that just didn’t compare to other universities. I knew it was where I wanted to be.

I am coming to the end of my social work degree and there has not been a day in the last three years that I haven’t enjoyed. The course is going amazingly but this wouldn’t have been possible without the staff at the University of Kent.

The Medway facilities are fantastic. There is the amazing library with such helpful staff, many places to get food and drinks and many social events. The campus is a short walk from the beautiful dockside and from the town centre also.

What has your course been like?

The support from lecturers at the university is second to none. They go above and beyond to provide support, guidance, stimulation and challenge you to push yourself further to get the maximum from your education. The level of teaching is superb – lectures are always interesting and engaging.

It is hard to pick which modules I have enjoyed the most as every single one has been great. If I had to pick one, it would be Social Work Theory since this helps to develop your critical thinking skills and underpins your everyday social work practice.

I have used the Student Learning Advisory Service and they have been fantastic. They are an invaluable service and help with academic writing skills and assist with understanding feedback from assignments.

My fellow students are great, and it feels as though we have a tight knit community. Everyone encourages, teaches, and supports each other in the cohort and each student is approachable at any time. The social life at Kent university is fantastic. Whilst I am not part of any ‘societies myself, I have been fortunate to be a part of a cohort that have become friends and organise social activities. In addition, there are social events on campus each week for people to enjoy.

How have your work placements helped with your career ambitions?

Both of my placements have been absolutely invaluable experiences and helps to put the learning in the ‘classroom’ into social work practice. They have assisted with the development of professionalism and helps you to improve your practice from your very first year of studying the degree.

When I finish my degree, I hope to work in Children’s social services and once I have developed my front-line practice skills, move up the ladder into managerial positions. I am also considering returning to Kent university to complete a PhD.