Q&A with Sociology student, Kristina Gonzato

Photot Kristina-Gonzato

What attracted you to studying at Kent?
When I was looking at universities I knew I wanted to go to a campus university. Especially one that wasn’t too far from home, had lots of greenery, and close to nice places to visit in my spare time. Also, the fact that it offered the exact course I was looking for sealed the deal for me. Kent ticked all my boxes!

How is your course going?
I’m in my third year, currently studying Sociology and Social Policy. I really enjoy it and I’m doing quite well; I achieved a 2.1 in my first year and a 1st in my second year. The topics we explore vary depending on the modules you pick, and I believe the variety keeps the learning process interesting.

How would you describe your lecturers? What do you think about the level of support in your studies?
My lectures are pretty straightforward and informative. The professors outline the topic of the week and discuss the theories and key points. I think the place where debate and ideas are explored the most is during the seminars; the fact that there are fewer people in your seminar groups makes it less intimidating to participate and access help from your seminar leader.

Which modules have you enjoyed the most, and why?
I have enjoyed the social research module and the “selfies: individualisation of society” module the most. I liked doing social research methods (a core module) because it gave me the freedom to choose a topic I was interested in for my qualitative research, and allowed me to explore all the processes that a researcher goes through to collect data.  It’s also a great way to get familiar with  the way a dissertation is set up.

How would you describe your fellow students?
Everyone comes from different walks of life, which is fantastic. At Kent, I’ve created friendships with a diverse group of people. You can find yourself in a seminar with people that come from all over the world, which enriches the conversations you have with your peers.

What are your subject facilities like?
The library has plenty of computers, laptops and printing facilities that can be accessed throughout your studies. Seminar readings are available both digitally and physically, with an array of accessibility options too. I love studying in the library or free seminar room; there is plenty of space in the silent area of the library and in the subject-specific areas. The library is open 24/7 so whenever you decide to have a study session, there’s always a place to go.

What kind of career do you hope to follow when you leave, and why?
My dream career would be working at the United Nations, but I like to keep my options open. I would like to work as a government social researcher as it would allow me to implement everything I learned throughout my time at Kent. Moreover, I would love to have an impact on the development of government policy and evaluate of how policies make a difference to public services.

Have you used the University’s Careers and Employability Service?
Yes, I have. I have attended numerous talks, and think they’re incredibly informative. They cover a wide range of fields when it comes to employability skills and how to make yourself more marketable for employers. They also offer 1:1 meetings on various subjects such as CV writing and personal statements.

What about social life? Are you part of any societies?
I am the president of Respect (the number one activist society at Uni), as well as vice-president for Socrates, SSPSSR academic society. I think there is something for everyone at Kent; if there isn’t you can create your own society.

There are 200+ societies; they range from sports to arts, to personal interests, so there’s a lot to choose from. When it comes to clubbing, the university has an on-site club that hosts regular events on Wednesdays and Fridays.

What are your favourite bars on campus?
I like Woody’s, as they have a good range of drinks and often host interactive events such as quiz nights. Or you can go there to watch the football.

Did you live in University accommodation? What was that like?
I lived in Turing houses in my first year and enjoyed it. Turing houses are quite spacious; the kitchen and living room are great communal areas and the bedrooms have plenty of storage and big desks. I chose Turing because I only had to share the bathroom with one other person, plus it had a proper walk-in shower which is something that not everyone gets at university.

Any advice to somebody thinking of coming to Kent?
One piece of advice I would give is to get out of your comfort zone and try new things, because that’s where experiences are made!

Describe Kent in three words
Multi-ethnic; picturesque; calm 

Where are the top three places to visit in Canterbury? Where would you recommend for a day out?
Canterbury Cathedral, The Beaney, and Westgate Gardens

For a day out in Canterbury I would suggest first visiting the gardens, inside the cathedral, then visit the many shops and restaurants around town.

Find out more about studying Sociology at Kent.