Alumni spotlight: BA Social Work graduate Emma Bint

'The team at Kent really know what they are teaching – you will be miles ahead of your counterparts who will be flooding the job market at the same time as you. And the teaching they deliver is second to none.'

Emma Bint graduated with a BA in Social Work from Kent in 2018. She’s now working for Wakefield Council whilst studying for a Master’s degree.

What have you been doing since you graduated?

I completed my ASYE (Assessed and Supported Year in Employment) in nine months and am now studying a distance-learning MA in Advanced Child Protection at Kent’s Centre for Child Protection.

What prompted your decision to switch careers and move into social work?

If I am honest there was no progression in my current role as a safeguarding lead for a school. I also thought that I would make a good social worker.

Why did you choose to study your Social Work degree at Kent? 

I chose to study at Kent because it had really good reviews and the information that was shared by former students and present students was really positive.

What were some of the highlights of the course for you? 

The friends I made whilst I was there and still am in contact with now. I really thought the teaching was of a very high standard and this had become more evident since being in practice where other colleagues have not been as knowledgeable as myself. This has supported me to progress in my career quicker than others.

Social Work at Kent is an applied degree that links theory to practical skills – practice placements and assignments are an integral aspect of your second and third year. How has the course made a difference to you? 

Placements were not only my favourite time of the degree – possibly because I see myself as more of a practical worker – but they really helped bring the theory to life in practice. The placements were really well supported by social work practice educators who also understood the process and what academically was needed. The only thing I felt difficult was that the university lecturers felt distant through the placements but once this was brought up with them, they made changes to rectify this which was welcomed by the cohort.

Could you describe a typical day in your current role? 

Busy – there is always something to be doing. I have my case load but there could also be duty tasks and things that may need dealing with that you have not anticipated. I start at 08:30 and I always try to finish at 17:00 but at times this is not always possible due to the nature of the job. I would say that at least once a week I work past 17.00 but it depends on the situation as to how much longer over 17.00 I will work. I spend most of my day either delivering intervention, completing direct work with children or writing up the work I have completed or reports or court statements.

Can you tell us about your work with BASW?

I worked with BASW (British Association of Social Workers) from the second year of my degree through to July 2020. This was mainly to support my own learning and to support other students and Newly Qualified Social Workers (NQSW) throughout their journey.

I arranged the BASW England Student & NQSW Conference 2020 with two fellow members and gave a specialist talk on transgender. I am part of a group of professionals (including judges and practitioners), who are looking to deliver training on transgender – this will enable social workers to become more knowledgeable and better equipped to support our service users. I have also written a piece for BASW on the ASYE plus a chapter in a forthcoming book called Out of the Shadows which is about social work during the pandemic.

I still keep in close contact with the BASW – and they contact me with things that may interest me – but currently I am having to concentrate on my studies and do not have much space for additional work. I will return to them when I have finished my Master’s.

Have your studies at Kent prompted you to think differently about which aspect of social work you want to pursue? 

Yes. By my third year, I really wanted to go into child protection. This had been my reason for embarking on the degree but I wanted to keep an open mind, I was tempted by mental health during my second year of study but after my third year placement, and having that experience in a front line child protection team, this confirmed for me that it was what I wanted to do. Also, my lecturer Bridget gave me very sound advice about which job offer to take and what to study at Master’s level.

What are your future plans/aspirations? How do you see your career progressing?

I am currently starting to become an independent social worker alongside completing some agency work – I feel confident in my practice and although I still have much to learn (I am not sure if this ever stops), I have received accommodations for my court and intervention work which has helped escalate my progression.

What advice would you give to mature students considering a potentially life-changing decision to study social work? Would you recommend the course at Kent?

I am not just saying this but the team at Kent really know what they are teaching – you will be miles ahead of your counterparts who will be flooding the job market at the same time as you. And the teaching they deliver is second to none. This is the best decision I made – I was nervous about leaving a full-time position that paid well – but I managed it and now I am really happy and I love my job.

And finally, what’s your favourite memory of Kent? 

The Drill Hall Library – blood, sweat and tears have been shared in that space. But also, I have so many memories with my friends and it is an excellent space that they offer – the people who run it are so nice, happy and helpful. The staff in the café keep you motivated when they know you have been there all day, sometimes into the night – it’s like they share your journey with you. Also, the Bistro – so many memories in there and the staff are so nice and friendly. Also, I played on the University basketball team – so I have so many memories – I was the oldest team member and there were about 20 years between us, but I could still hold my own and they were kind to me – loved those girls!

Study Social Work at Kent: Social work is about changing lives for the better. Our degree has been designed with professional practice in mind, helping you to develop the knowledge and practical skills you need to become a confident, competent social work practitioner. Learn more about studying a BA Social Work degree at Kent

Explore the full range of social sciences courses you can study at Kent