Alumni spotlight: Sociology BA graduate Ravi Vyas

'Gaining some practical experience in classrooms helped me in my role working with some of the most challenging young people.'

Ravi Vyas graduated from Kent with a BA degree in Sociology in 2019 and is now working as a Youth Offending Officer for Enfield Council

Can you tell us why you chose to study Sociology for your degree? 

I had a keen interest in criminology but also wider themes that intersect this such as culture, gender and media.

What attracted you to study Sociology at Kent?  

I found that Kent had a good staff network to teach a wide syllabus. Also having a lot of flexibility and choice in terms of the modules that can make up your degree.

Did your course live up to your expectations? What were the highlights of your programme?  

Exceeding expectations. I found the teaching in social sciences modules really great. Gaining some practical experience in classrooms helped me in my role working with some of the most challenging young people.

What impressed you most about our academic staff?  

That they make the time to see students outside of contact hours and allow them to get extra support with the work.

How did you change during your time at Kent, in terms of your knowledge, skills and characteristics?   

I gained more of an understanding about the practical applications of my degree but at the same time started to open my social circle and have the genuine university experience.

Is there anything you learnt in particular during your studies that helps you now in your day-to-day working life?  

I would say that many skills I honed at university transfer to my job today. Planning, teamwork, attention to detail, critical discussion are all what make me a productive and progressive worker.

Could you describe a typical day in your current role?  

No two days are the same. What I like about my work is that you are actively involved in the lives of people with complex needs. Dealing with young offenders requires trying to build engagement between you and the young person, providing them with the support they need and working with multiple agencies like social care, police, schools and custody facilities.

How did Kent help you into your career? 

Providing me with transferable soft skills but also helping me narrow my focus to a field I was particularly passionate about.

What are your future plans/aspirations? How do you see your career progressing?  

I’m looking to help vulnerable young people wherever I can but the long term goal is to be in a managerial position where I teach others but also have the ability to change and innovate the way we support young people on a larger scale.

What is your favourite memory of Kent?   

Going to Varsity Cricket Matches. Feeling the passion amongst your friends and teammates during varsity is one the best experiences I had.

Favourite module? 

Crime, Media and Culture.

What advice would you give to somebody thinking of coming to Kent?  

Play hard, work hard. Strike the balance between making memories but also making your future.

How would you describe your time at Kent in three words? 

Surprising, inspiring and fun.

Study Sociology at Kent: Should we all have an equal say in how the society we live in operates? As a sociology student, you gain an understanding of how societies work, develop and transform. You examine the social institutions that govern us, discover what you think should change and search for a way to achieve it. Learn more about studying a BA Sociology degree at Kent

Explore the full range of social sciences courses you can study at Kent