Special Recognition Award Given to SSPSSR Professor

Professor Peter Taylor-Gooby receives award from the Social Policy Association

Peter Taylor-Gooby received the Social Policy Association’s Special Recognition Award for an ‘ exceptional contribution to the discipline of social policy during the past four decades’ at the organisation’s annual conference on Monday 8 July.

Professor Taylor-Gooby is Research Professor of Social Policy at the University of Kent’s School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research.

After accepting his award, Professor Taylor-Gooby said “I was delighted to have been nominated for this award by my fellow practitioners and to be judged to have made a useful contribution to the teaching and learning of social policy during my career. I’m also extremely grateful for all the help and support I’ve received from a wide range of colleagues.”

Professor Taylor-Gooby chaired the British Academy New Paradigms in Public Policy Programme (2010/2011), is Chair of the REF Social Work and Social Policy and Administration panel 2011-15, is a Fellow of the British Academy, a Founding Academician at the Academy of Social Sciences and, previously, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and President of the British Association for the Advancement of Science, Sociology and Social Policy Section.

Peter also participated in the Prime Minister’s No 10 ‘progressive consensus’ Round Table and advised the Prime Minister’s Strategy Unit between 2009 and 2010.

Peter has written 23 books, 120 articles and 95 chapters, and given more than 100 keynote presentations at international conferences.