Success for Mandarin Year in Language Students

Congratulations to Year in Language students, Beth Lucas, Emma Stone, and Jonathan Standing, who have won the Best Participation Award for their video: 3 Minutes Tour Guide, Let Me Show You My Hometown at the Centre for Language Education and Cooperation, China.

In the video, using the vocabulary learnt in their Mandarin module, they introduce a Chinese audience to Canterbury – showcasing sites such as Canterbury Cathedral, Westgate Gardens, a Christmas Market, and the University campus.

After producing the video, Beth said: ‘We decided to get involved with the project because we had just been learning some grammar and vocab that we could use perfectly in the video. We also thought it was something different and exciting to do together as a group and use our language outside the classroom’.

All the students acknowledge how beneficial the Year in Language has been on their subsequent studies – in subjects as varied as Politics, Religion, and Asian Studies. This was confirmed by Jonathan, who said: ‘The modules have diversified my learning and has given me an extra skill that will help me once I graduate.

‘The University also supports its students beyond the time studied at Kent through the online learning platform provided by Kent and KeDaGaoXin University where we can practice our mandarin from anywhere in the world. I plan to carry on my Mandarin learning using this resource while I study abroad in Hong Kong’.

Watch the video

The Year in a Language programme will help you unlock a wide range of career opportunities. Applications for University of Kent undergraduate students (Canterbury or Medway) for September 2023 are now open. Find out if the course is for you.