The average week of a religious studies student

Beth Lucas takes us through an average week, and offers some advice for people about to start their studies.

“I think the most important thing is coming to have a look in person and getting a feel for the university, your lecturers and the place.”

What does an average week look like for you?

I usually have my lectures during the first half of the week, maybe on Monday or Tuesday, and seminars in the latter half, Thursday or Friday. Before I go to my lectures I download the powerpoint so I have an idea of the topic that week and so can add notes to it. In the middle of the week I do the reading for the seminar. This takes anywhere from several hours to an afternoon depending on the amount of reading set. I also take notes of the reading to take to the seminar. I also take languages so I have 3 lessons to attend. When not attending lessons, I learn and review vocabulary, write up notes and do the homework. I usually study from 9-6 with during the week and this gives me ample time to get everything done. It also adds time in for study sessions with friends or meetings with staff. I sometimes ask my lecturers questions or for advice or guidance after lessons if they have time. They are usually more than happy to talk to me. I also have meetings with my academic advisor 3 or 4 times a term. I also talk to my academic advisor if something happens and I need some advice or just want to talk to someone. I have no problem fitting this in around my schedule and they are generally very flexible. I don’t have a job because I didn’t want it to eat into my time studying but I don’t see that it would be a problem if you manage your workload correctly.

How many contact hours are on your course? Is this easy to manage and balance with your social and work life?

I have 10 contact hours a week during my 2nd year. That is 4 hours a for a 30 credit module and 2 15 credit language modules with 3 hours each. In my first year I took 3 15 credit modules with 2 hours a week each and a 15 credit language module for 3 hours a week. I found all of this very manageable and it is quite easy to fit work, studying and my social life around it. Most societies have activities in the evening after lessons so they don’t clash.

How many different modules do you cover over the week?

I have 3 modules, 2 language modules and another module per term. This other module could be philosophical, religious or cultural.  In my first year I had 3 of these modules and 1 language module per term.

I really enjoy studying languages so it was easy to choose those. In my first year it was harder to choose which modules I wanted to take because I wasn’t so sure what I was interested in but all the modules have descriptions and specify the assessments so I could get a good idea of what was required and what would be taught. I also talked to my academic advisor about what modules I should choose or would be a good fit for me. There was also a meeting in which the person running the module gave an introduction to the module and you could ask questions about it which was really helpful. In my first year I took a biology wild module and this was fun because it was completely different to my degree. I didn’t struggle with it because even though different departments do things differently, the lectures are very helpful and will be lenient if you do thigs slightly differently.

If you’re studying a Joint Honours course, how do you find balancing this across your week? What are the benefits of taking a joint honours course?

I find the balance is good because I have several different modules that require different things so I don’t have to do the same things all the time and the change makes it more manageable I think. The differences help with deadlines as my different modules have slightly different deadlines which spaces things out.

What accommodation have you lived in and what was it like?

I lived in Turing in my 1st year. It was really nice and my flat was very quiet so we all got on well together. In my second year I lived in Woolf. There were fewer people in my flat in Woolf so we became really close. Woolf is slightly closer to most of the buildings that I had lessons it too which was really convenient. I live on campus and it   is very convenient. It is a short walk to all my lessons and even if I have a short break between lessons I can go home and I don’t have to take all my stuff with me.

What is the social scene like in Canterbury on and off campus?

Canterbury town centre is really pretty. There are lots of small, independent shops so you can find some really cool stuff. There are also quite a few used books shops which are really good. There are quite a few restaurants on campus which are good so you don’t have to go far. Origins on campus has good food and is close to venue, the club on campus.

Are you involved with any student societies?

I help run the religious studies society and we get together every other week and have discussions on various topics. Im also a part of the karate society. Everyone there is really friendly and happy to help even if you are a complete beginner. We have sessions twice a week but also often have socials, like going to restaurants or clubbing, and sometimes we just go to the bar on campus after to have a drink and chat. I also competed in a national competition with the society despite being a complete beginner.

What would be your main advice to prospective students looking to join the community here at Kent?

It important to like the place where you will be living for at least three years but its also important to look at modules and make sure there are modules you will be interested in. Societies are also important because you make many of your friends there, so look at what is offered across the board. But I think the most important thing is coming to have a look in person and getting a feel for the university, your lecturers and the place.