The average week of a Classical and Archaeological studies student at Kent

Ben Thomas takes us through his average week as a Classical and Archaeological Studies student.

How does an average week look for you?

My weeks consist of lectures, seminars, private study, part time work, and society activities. Mondays I focus on my dissertation, and attend a study session ran by the society that I am the president of (KCAS). Tuesdays are filled with lectures, and I conduct private study in the evening, Wednesdays I attend meetings with the societies I am a part of, KCAS and the Business Society, to set up socials and events, I also split this day up by studying for my Thursday seminars. I have 2 seminars on Thursday, which I prep for, and then afterwards I will go out to a campus restaurant to treat myself once academic commitments have finished for the week. Fridays I host a variety of society socials, whilst on the weekends I work.

How many contact hours are on your course? Is this easy to manage and balance with your social and work life?

I have 5 contact hours a week. 2 lectures and 2 seminars (1 two hour seminar). I find that I am able to balance university with my other commitments well, but it does take planning, and a diary to make sure I am on track with my goals.

How many different modules do you cover over the week?

This term I’m doing 3 modules, I chose them mostly out of interest, but made sure that they were tailored to what I want to do after university, which is becoming a solicitor. In such a way, I chose my dissertation topic in Roman law which I am fascinated by.

Does your course have any special facilities that you can use?

We have an archaeology lab on site, which is very interesting. I am aware that you can access it during working hours, so there is always time to go along!

If you’re studying a Joint Honours course, how do you find balancing this across your week?

Joint honours courses give you a breadth of knowledge and as such increases the variety of skills learned. I am interested in ancient and modern history, and learn different skills in these subjects, thus I chose to do both under a joint honours format. I find it is easy to balance, as long as you are able to time keep well, as the course is very dependent on private research.

How much do you travel to get onto campus? Do you live on or near campus? Is your commute longer than from the city centre?

I live in the city centre, so I usually walk up to campus, sometimes I take a cab if I have a very important commitment, but you can also get the Uni Bus.

If you lived on campus at all, what accommodation have you lived in and what was it like?

Year 1 I lived in Rutherford and Eliot. The friends I have now I lived with there, and we have such great memories of living in dorms, studying together and enjoying our free time over pizza and other great food.

What is the social scene like in Canterbury on and off campus?

I love the social scene here. There is something for everyone. I love Creams, and whenever I am in town I will always go there. Many of the restaurants are open at the weekends, and I love going to Prezzo’s to have a fun dinner with friends.

Have you been on any trips within Kent or London since studying here?

I sometimes go to London with my friends, as whilst Kent offers so much, it’s so much fun, and easy to go into London for the day and take advantage of its attractions, like the London eye, and just generally walking around London is such a fun thing to do.

Are you involved with any student societies

Yes, KCAS and the Business Society. I am president of KCAS so I oversee their activities, such as ancient board games, pub quizzes and other events and socials. I am also the Vice President of the business society, where I work with the president to create exciting employment opportunities for the society.

Do you work alongside your studies?

Yes I do, I work from 5pm-1am Saturday and Sundays from home for a call centre. Balancing these commitments is all about time management, but I will always advise to make sure your are prioritising university work, there is always time for work after university, but I enjoy working, and it fits well into my schedule, so I am able to undertake it now.

What would be your main advice to prospective students looking to join the community here at Kent?

Adventure. Say yes. Open yourself to exciting opportunities academically, career-wise and socially, you never know what might come your way.