December’s Library Blogpost

End of Term Message 

As the end of the autumn term draws near and you hand in your final assignments, we want to remind you that the Templeman Library is still here for you over the winter break.  

Whilst the Templeman Library is open all year round, opening times do change during the holidays so please check them in advance of visiting.  

If you need to speak to someone about a library or IT issue then you can continue to use the online chat function on the library website for a quick resolution.  

If you want to get ahead then you can start looking at your Spring modules’ reading lists (which will outline the core texts for the module and tell you what you need to read and when) and resources on the related Moodle module site – Spring Moodle pages should be going live in the next few weeks.  

However, it’s also important to relax and recuperate over the holidays. To help you with this your dedicated subject Liaison Librarian Emma Mires-Richards (e.l.mires-richards@kent.ac.uk) and Associate Lecturer in Religious Studies, Dr Nicole Graham would each like to share a book recommendation with you:  

Emma’s Recommendation: Love After Love by Ingrid Persaud 

I picked this book up in my local public library and had not heard anything about it previously; instantly I was transported away and could not wait to read more about the characters and the twists and turns of their stories. It opens in contemporary Trinidad and explores the unconventional family relationships and love in all its varying forms. There are some hard-hitting themes in the book domestic abuse, homophobia and self-harm but at the heart it is captivating story that questions what makes a family?  

Nicole’s Recommendation: Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie  

This book was bought for me as a gift and I honestly couldn’t put it down. I was immediately transported to Nigeria and emersed in the lives of Olanna, Kainene, Odenigbo, Ugwu, and Richard whose lives are depicted both prior to and during the Nigerian Civil War (1967-70). The novel explores the horrors of war and the complications of love and family; it’s not uplifting but instead explores the flaws of humanity and the harm we can and do cause one another. After reading this book, I’ve added all of Adichie’s other books to my Christmas list!