Graduate profile: Sophie Pawson, BA English and American Literature and English Language and Linguistics

What are you doing now?
I’m between jobs, but I’m in the marketing sphere.

What attracted you to your course, and to Kent?
The course modules; they had a variety that I couldn’t find anywhere else and seemed to respect both halves of the course equally.

Which aspects of your time at Kent did you enjoy the most, and why?
I enjoyed the content of the degree and meeting new people (lots of whom I’m still close to) and student media.

How did you get into your current role, and what advice would you give to anyone wanting to follow a similar career?
My previous roles were in advertising and marketing, and I got into them because of my BA and my MSc, but my time with student media provided a lot of evidence of initiative and following my passions that cinched it. The best bit of advice I can give to someone trying to prep for good job offers is to forge a path in an extra-curricular area you really enjoy and keep a record of anything that was above and beyond. Jobs love proof that you push yourself without obligation.

How has your time at Kent helped you in your career so far?
The linguistics component was particularly useful in marketing as knowledge of which words to use and eloquence are essential skills in that area. Literature also sharpened my ability to meet a brief as high marks in the subject were fairly prescriptive, as long as certain criteria were met.

Are you still in touch with any of your friends from University?
Yes! My closest friendship group consists of people from Kent.

Could you describe a typical day in your current role?
A typical day in my most recent role was liaising with clients, contracted workers, and our PR team. I would also write up copy for the website, enter architectural competitions, update our industry and general social media, and create and edit images and client-facing documents.

What are your future plans/aspirations?
The joblessness now was a conscious choice whilst I recalibrated, as I had been following a generalist path up to this point, and I want to funnel my skills. My immediate plans are to do some charity/freelance work to help those affected by COVID and to bolster my portfolio, and to complete an intensive French course so I can communicate fluently (ideally for use in a professional environment). Ultimately my goals are to be fluent in at least five languages (French, Norwegian, Spanish, Italian, German), and passable in others including Swedish, Greek and Chinese, and I have decided I will likely pursue a career either in copywriting, brand strategy, or project management – as these are the elements of my jobs so far that have brought me the most enjoyment. I’d also like a house and a dog…and maybe to do a PhD in the linguistics of marketing, but they’re pipe dreams right now!

What is your favourite memory of Kent?
It’s hard to pick one…putting aside funny memories with friends, one of my lecturers told me when writing an essay ‘zoom in…zoom in…zoom in and then write’ and I’ve sort of absorbed that as a life mantra. I think it’s served me well!

What advice would you give to somebody thinking of coming to Kent?
I went to another university after Kent for my MSc and the atmosphere was so different. There was a lot of pressure, and even ruthlessness, that made the whole experience dour. This university was top in the country for the subject when I applied, and I was miserable the entire time. My advice would be: go to Kent! The courses were engaging, the lecturers were lovely and approachable, the area around was beautiful (though I definitely didn’t make the most of it), and even the campus itself has a niceness about it I didn’t get in my other university. As I said above, the course also offered a range that just wasn’t matched by the other universities I looked at.

How would you describe your time at Kent in three words?
Fun, enlightening, formative.