Philosophy graduate takes over Canterbury pub

Philosophy graduate, Sam Holden has purchased the Monument pub in Canterbury. We caught up with him to find about his new project and what he loves about Kent and Canterbury.

What made you decide to take over The Monument?
I have been looking for a project in Canterbury for about 18 months now. I really wanted to do something which allowed me to be a part of the community here, and my love of pubs made a project like this the perfect fit. When the opportunity to buy The Monument came up, I was always very keen but it took about a year to get the deal over the line and I almost missed out twice to other people. It’s a rare opportunity to own an independent pub. The location near to university and the charm of the building is a perfect fit for what I want to do.

Why Canterbury, and why Kent?
Having first studied here from 2007-10 I really enjoyed my time living in Canterbury. After spending 2 years in London, I moved back to Canterbury in 2013 and have very much made it my home. I love the size of Canterbury – being such a small city you get that sense of community while still having plenty of interesting new people to meet. I love the work-life balance that living in Canterbury can afford, with the ability to walk everywhere in the city if you wish.

What course did you study and why?
Most recently I have studied Philosophy at Kent. Firstly doing an undergraduate degree and then coming back to do a Masters in 2018/19. My interest was drawn to philosophy from many different angles and started with big questions around existentialism and religion. The course really helped my come to terms with understanding my place in the world. Later on in my studies I became more interested in questions involving logic, evidence and knowledge. Ultimately, I started studying philosophy to help improve my critical thinking faculties and ability to problem solve.

What role does philosophy play in everyday life, and how has been an influence in your career so far?
Before I studied philosophy, a friend who had graduated 30 years ago told me I would use my philosophy degree every day, and she was certainly right. In everyday life the degree has helped me come to terms with my position in this pretty absurd world. I found my early years studying philosophy very therapeutic and still fondly remember the first year existentialism module. Later on, the precision required in logical critical thinking has been a real benefit while setting up this business. The precision required in solving a philosophy problem transfers very well into self employment – breaking a big problem into lots of smaller problems.

What’s your vision for The Monument?
I want The Monument to be a traditional pub with an independent personality. It’s going to be a comfortable place for a quiet drink, with several cosy seating areas inside and a tranquil beer garden outside. Our drinks are high quality but reasonably priced, with something for everyone. In time, I hope to launch a new menu of fresh, high quality, homemade pub food, for sale at a reasonable price.

What advice would you give to a student coming to Kent?
Make the most of the city and spend time getting to know local people. The campus is a great starting point, but by branching out and exploring the city you’ll find loads of hidden gems, and hopefully you’ll agree that The Monument is one of those!

Read more about Sam and his new project on Kent Online.