French and History student, Finn Marum, to present paper at Margins to Centre 2021

BA (Hons) French and History student, Finn Marum, will be presenting a paper at Margins to Centre 2021. Margins to Centre is an undergraduate conference specialising in marginalised histories, inspired by the works of Inspired by the works of Bell Hooks, Kimberlé Crenshaw, Audre Lorde and Pat Parker. The conference will be taking place on Friday 5 March 2021.

Conference sessions include:

• A Woman’s World
  • Broken identities, healing places
  • Sexuality, defiance, hope

Finn will be presenting his paper on queer men in occupied France, and their roles in both resistance and collaboration, ‘with references to the cultural idea of the ‘homo collabo’ (for example, in La Mort dans l’âme by Jean-Paul Sartre) and the problems around historiography and lack of scholarship.’

On taking part in the conference, Finn says, “When I heard about the conference, I knew that I wanted to get involved, and use this opportunity as a way to explore histories that have been left by the wayside in academia. I was able to combine both elements of my degree (French & History) to spend time researching a topic that I really feel strongly about. Conferences like this are so important, as these stories are so easily forgotten, which is especially concerning now that the remaining people involved at the time are, sadly, dying. The roles that queer men played throughout the Occupation have not been discussed for so long, it really is time that we look at it, and we bring it to light.”

Find out more about the conference on their website, and book your free place here.