Final year dissertation students organise this year’s Swipe Conference

Final year dissertation students from the Department of Comparative Literature have organised this year’s Swipe Conference 2021, due to take place on Wednesday 3 March 2021 from 10.00 – 17.00 via Microsoft Teams.

Conference co-organiser, Stage 3 student, Charlotte, explains, “I am one of the four final year Comparative Literature students organizing the SWIPE conference this year. Our hope with this event is to bring together our subject finalists (and masters students) to showcase their work and create an open forum for discussion and feedback.

My own personal motivations for getting involved on the committee is largely to do with where we find ourselves in the current pandemic climate. Putting together the program of events, reading participants’ submissions and timetabling the day has allowed me to pour my creative energies into something both beneficial and fun for my peers-and myself!

Our hope with the day is to bring staff and students together to share what we all love-literature!”

Sessions at the conference include:

• Fairytales in gender and literature
  • Race and oppression in literature
  • Trauma and memory in literature
  • Mental illness in literature
  • Masters students

Stage 3 student, Sophie, shares: “I thought that [organising the conference] would be a really good way to connect and work with with my peers in our final year of university. As we are currently restricted to online learning, this conference will be a day for students and staff to check-in with each other and see what final year projects are currently in progress. We will also be hearing from a couple of masters students which is exciting for us undergraduates!

Alongside organising the conference itself, I enjoy graphic design so my role was to design the advertisement poster and programme. I really loved doing this, and I hope that the day  runs smoothly!”

You can view the full programme below, and also join the event via this link.