We caught up with Lecturer in Comparative Literature, Dr Joanne Pettitt, to find out more about Comparative Literature at Kent. Dr Pettitt shares her top five highlights:
1. Established and recognised degree programme! The University of Kent was the first institution in the UK to open a Comparative Literature programme. We continue to have one of the UK’s leading and most exciting departments for the study of Comparative Literature.
2. Great community! Our small and friendly department is a tightly knit and supportive community of students and scholars. Students are assigned an academic tutor in the first year of their degree who provides ongoing advice and support throughout their studies.
3. Great module choice! Kent offers a wide variety of modules to suit your interests. Across the course of your degree, you will have the opportunity to study literary theory, fairy tales, vampires in literature, political literature, representations of gender, film adaptations, Latin American fiction and many more!
4. A global perspective on literature! We offer all the benefits of a traditional English literature degree combined with the study of literatures from around the world. You get the opportunity to study a diverse constellation of modules, including texts from across Europe, the Americas, the Middle East, Asia, and Africa (taught in English translation). We are continually interested in how texts move around and what literature can tell us about different social, cultural and historical periods.
5. Research excellence: Comparative Literature was part of Kent’s Research Excellence Framework submission to Modern Languages and Linguistics that was ranked 3rd in the UK, with 85% of its research graded world-leading and internationally excellent. You will be taught by lecturers with international reputations working at the cutting-edge of their respective fields.
6. International Opportunities and Careers! At Kent, all students can choose to spend a Year Abroad or a Year in Industry. We have a dedicated Careers Service and our graduates have successfully secured jobs in teaching, publishing, journalism, law, and education. We will help to guide and support you in whatever career path is right for you.