Meet French and History student: Lauren Crawford

We recently caught up with BA (Hons) French and History student, Lauren, to find out more about her experience and time at Kent.

What has been your favourite module so far, and why?

I really enjoyed Twentieth Century France in Crisis because we explored how France’s history has been reflected in cinema which I did not get to study in school. I also loved the Professional French module because it helped prepare me for life working in francophone countries and I learnt a lot of technical vocabulary and about how the French economy works.

What made you decide to study your course at University of Kent?

The campus is beautiful, and Canterbury is so close to the coast. There is also a lot of flexibility with module selection, you get a lot of freedom to study what you are interested in.

When you are able to be on campus, where did you spend most of your time?

Templeman Library is usually where I spend most of my time as it has loads of study spaces. When I’m not studying, I try to catch films at the Gulbenkian or meet friends at Caffe Nero. K-Bar was also fun for pizza and drinks.

Are you a part of any sports or societies? And if so, what’s been your experience? Would you recommend them to fellow/new students and why?

I joined the yoga society this year and I wish I had joined earlier! The societies are a really good way to meet people and even as a beginner it was easy to join the classes and find what suited me. I would definitely recommend joining a society, even online it has been a good way to take a break from academic work and do something relaxing or stress-relieving.

During the lockdown, how have you been keeping social and catching up with friends?

My friends and I have been catching up using FaceTime and Zoom calls. Netflix Party is also good for watching shows with friends, you can message at the same time and chat about the shows.

What’s your favourite thing about the campus?

The view over the Cathedral is wonderful all year round. The Street Kitchen serves some of the best food on campus. Everything is nearby, especially living on campus, it takes max 15 minutes to get to lectures.

What’s your favourite thing about living in Canterbury?

The Marlowe Theatre is amazing and such a hub for West End shows! I also love all the independent coffee shops throughout the city and the green spaces, like Westgate Gardens.

What’s your favourite bar/café/restaurant in town or on campus?

Café des Amis in Westgate is a must-visit! The food is delicious, and the restaurant has been there for over 30 years. Also, worth checking out is Burgate Coffee House near the Cathedral. Citi Terrace is in the centre of the city and serves all kind of cocktails, coffees, and food.

What would you recommend to a new first year student studying your course that would really help them?

Try and expose yourself to as much French as possible, it’s amazing how quickly you can improve just by listening to a short podcast everyday. There are lots of French films that can be rented from the library – some are required for modules, but others are just good to practise your language skills. Students may also enjoy the Buddy Scheme where they can pair up with another student and practise their language skills.

What would you recommend a first year student moving to Kent try out?

A trip to Whitstable on the bus or by bike on the Crab & Winkle Trail is highly recommended. The Cathedral is free for students and they do a service by candlelight before Christmas which is beautiful. A trip on the ferry to France or on the Eurostar is so easy from Canterbury.

Are there any books / podcasts / film / online magazines that would be helpful for a new student, or fellow students, studying your course?

There are lots of French shows on Netflix which I would highly recommend, including Lupin, Call My Agent, and The Hookup Plan (Plan Cœur) – the French subtitles are a great way to learn everyday French phrases. I would also recommend the YouTube channel ‘A Piece of French’: Elsa is a native French speaker, and the channel is aimed at intermediate speakers and is full of useful everyday phrases.