Meet English Language and Linguistics student: Jonah Shehata

We recently caught up with BA (Hons) English Language and Linguistics student, Jonah, to hear more about his experience and time studying at Kent.

What has been your favourite module so far, and why?

My year 1 and 2 Stylistics modules, my year 2 Phonetics module, and my year 1 Sounds of English module; however, I have found genuine enjoyment in every single module I’ve done since I’ve started.

What made you decide to study your course at University of Kent?

It was, frankly, a stroke of luck. I had applied for multiple universities and nearly all of those applications were for English Literature. When applying to Kent, my parents suggested I try to branch out to something that remains within the study of English but leaned more on scientific foundations. Linguistics sounded interesting, so I applied with a kind of “it couldn’t hurt” attitude. I ended up choosing Kent, and I do believe that stroke of luck was the best thing that’s ever happened to me.

During the lockdown, how have you found studying your course?

I won’t lie, it’s not been easy. There have been mental health dips, and since I am an international student there have been multiple instances where I’ve had to choose between being 8 hours by plane from the university or 8 hours by plane from my family. However, my lecturers, academic adviser, disability mentor, and Student Support have been working to support me through the mental health struggles and consequential academic trouble.

When you were able to be on campus, where did you spend most of your time?

At autistic support groups, at my friends’ accommodation watching films and ordering take out, occasionally going to the Origins Karaoke Nights, or meeting at the Library for late night study sessions with friends.

Are you a part of any sports or societies? And if so, what’s been your experience? Would you recommend them to fellow/new students and why?

Although not technically a society, Kent’s SYA group has been a blessing for me. I made a lot of friends who also knew what it was like to be autistic and found a community like I’ve never had before.

During lockdown, have societies been hosting any socials you have loved? Have you discovered any online events worth sharing?

Not particularly, but not for a lack of events or socials. I’ve just been preoccupied with my friends! Friends and I have been having regular discord voice and video calls and just being in each other’s company. Even virtually, is very comforting. I actually do believe my friends and I have gotten closer while doing this.

What’s your favourite thing about the campus?

The greenery. Walking to class, when class was not online, was always a healing experience for me. I also love the fact that we have a Co-Op so close by. Late night snacking habits die hard.

What’s your favourite thing about living in Canterbury?

Atmosphere and community; Canterbury is the perfect middle ground between urban living—generally convenient and lively—and rural life—which is calm and relaxing, but a little cut off. Canterbury has the convenience and life of a city, but also has greenery and a sense of serenity about it. There’s also a sense of community support and love; people just feel like they genuinely care about each other.

What’s your favourite bar/café/restaurant in town or on campus?

In town, ASK Italian, A La Turka, Olive Grove, and on campus, Origins.

What would you recommend to a new first year student studying your course that would really help them?

Sign up for academic peer mentoring! It’s flexible, meaning you and your mentor can decide how little or how often to meet, and your mentors are all fellow students who have been in your position before and don’t have the intimidating aura that a lot of us can feel professors have.

What would you recommend a first year student moving to Kent try out?

Once you feel a little settled in and have some friends you like hanging out with (and we’re not in lockdown anymore!), I recommend heading out together and exploring the city centre and its branching streets, as well as the surrounding areas and landmarks. You might find something you love.

Are there any books / podcasts / film / online magazines that would be helpful for a new student, or fellow students, studying your course?

Frankly, I can’t think of anything; however, I do believe that if you’re studying linguistics, one of the best ways to learn is to use and interact with language mindfully. Our communication and processing of language are largely intuitive. You’re taught the alphabet, and you’re taught spelling and vocabulary, but you intuitively begin to process language and use it. Try to become aware of it; pay attention to your linguistic choices and your friends’ linguistic choices, pay attention to how you process language that you interact with. This is one of the best ways to really get yourself thinking within the linguistic framework.