Graduate Profile: Abi Hawkins

Graduate, Abi Hawkins, tells us about what she has been doing since leaving Kent.

What are you doing now? 
I am the Head of Religious Studies at Simon Langton Girls’ Grammar School. 

What attracted you to your course, and to Kent? 
I fell in love with Philosophy of Religion during my A Levels and so knew I wanted to pursue the subject at university. The course at Kent covered a broad range of philosophical topics and there were great choices in each year of the degree. Kent has such a beautiful campus and I loved that it feels like a town in itself. 

Which aspects of your degree did you enjoy the most, and why? 
Interestingly I really enjoyed the modules I struggled with most, such as Logic and Philosophy of Language. These topics were so different to anything I’d ever studied before, but the teaching and support was brilliant. They ended up being some of my highest scoring modules. 

What impressed you most about our academic staff? 
I always found staff very friendly and enthusiastic, this made seminars enjoyable. There was also good support. Staff were always happy to meet with me to discuss plans for an essay or give feedback on something I’d submitted. 

Which skills/knowledge did you learn on your course that you use most now in your career? 
Philosophical reading and writing was a really helpful module, I’ve definitely carried those skills over into my career. I’d say that my ability to do simple Logic is so helpful for my teaching of A Level and knowledge I gained in first year about Descartes always comes in handy in my extra-curricular Philosophy classes. 

Are you still in touch with any of your fellow students? 
One of my best friends was on the course with me so we are still in touch. I’m also still in touch with some friends I made in my wild Religious Studies modules. 

Did you undertake any work experience whilst at Kent? What did you do? Did you find it was helpful in your studies and has it benefited your career to date? 
I already had a part time job when I joined Kent and I continued with this through my degree. In my third year I took the ‘Philosophy in the Classroom’ module and this required a placement in school. This was definitely really helpful for my career as it gave me great classroom experience and helped me start making important contacts. 

Could you describe a typical day in your current role? 
In a typical day I will teach classes to perhaps 90+ students. I teach Religious Education/Religious Studies to Years 7-11 and then Religious Studies/Philosophy to Years 12 and 13. So my morning could be discussing the Hindu concepts of samara and karma with Year 7 and my afternoon could be examining Flew’s falsification principle with Year 13. I love my job. 

What are your future plans/aspirations? 
I dream of being a Head of Sixth Form one day. I love helping students with their UCAS applications and personal statements. I now run a program supporting students with their application to Oxbridge and am part of group encouraging pursuit of PPE university courses. I find working with students at this stage in their lives and education so rewarding. 

What is your favourite memory of Kent? 
Some of my fondest memories of my time at Kent are spending study time in-between lectures/seminars in the library or the Gulbenkian café. I grew up in the Canterbury area, but being on campus felt like being in another town or city. I could happily spend all day there. 

What advice would you give to somebody thinking of coming to Kent? 
I would always recommend Kent, as going here would give you an excellent university experience. This is based on course/module choice, brilliant and supportive teaching staff and then the campus itself and all it has to offer. 

How would you describe your time at Kent in three words? 
Memorable, inspiring, challenging